Would you like to grow up now?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mi11er, Feb 20, 2009.

When would you rather grow up

1. Now, all the tech stuff would be cool

2. Back when you left the house on a sat

3. it don't matter

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I was wondering, would you rather grow up now with all the technology that is out there. Kids now have Myspace, Facebook, twitter to constantly keep in touch. But, it seems that with all the tech there is cyber bullies and such. In my day even a cell phone was just getting popular and not everykid, most anyone for that matter, had one. What do you all think?

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just cause I know the difference. I am 64 years old. I have lived both ends of the spectrum so to speak. I have a point of comparison. I would vote for number 2 if I voted.

If I were a youngster and didn't know the difference I more than likely would vote, if I voted, for the here and now. It would be the only point of reference I would have.

Fortunately I do know the difference and I would not have changed a thing about how, where, what, and why. Those of us who have been there may need that experience if and when the lights don't come on anymore by flipping a switch.

John.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Still think i'd rather grow up with out the technology. i'm not real old,grew up in the 60's and 70's, but things were different and simplier to an extent then. There was a time when everybody knew everybody in town, and you hardly ever locked your doors when you went somewhere. Seems like just the opposite now adays, hardly know your neighbors, and better lock your doors and still hope nobody breaks in.

Life sure was simple when i grew up.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not sure what # 2 is really saying,But I'd sometines liked to have been born a hundred years prior to when I was,I really think I'd have been more at home . I would hate the thought of growing up now since I have seen much better days ,And I seriously doubt we will see any quite as good as we ever had before.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I would have rather been born a long time ago. I was born in 84 and I dont care for the way the world is turning out.
    Life isnt so simple anymore. Not even the fishin.
    I am grateful to have been raised by someone who loved the outdoors and who was simple as could be.
    I turned out a lot different than most my age. I am grateful for that.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    #2 means before all the x-boxes, cell phones, text messages, computers, chat rooms, IMs,. It means when all the kids in the neighborhood went out and played baseball/football.....for real not madden. It just seems that the kids now a days would rather play in a virtual world than in the real world.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I liked how I grew up, didnt have to worry about getting abducted by some creep, was able to fill my pillow case multiple times with candy on Halloween, was able to ride my bike pretty much wherevere I wanted.

I like it now too a point i.e. info at the touch of a button but that can be bad also LOL its good to wait sometimes.

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd have love to have been born back before the automobile... maybe after the civil war.

Now if i could take the modern day weapons back with me that would be even better. I think I could have helped out at the Alamo....:eek:oooh:

9. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    This assuming that we actually "grow up". LOL!!!:smile2:

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I liked how I grew up, didnt have to worry about getting abducted by some creep, was able to fill my pillow case multiple times with candy on Halloween, was able to ride my bike pretty much wherevere I wanted."

I did and my children did. Much of the 180 is just paranoid parents.
    No harm in being cautious, know who your neighbors are, know where your kids are, arm them with the knowledge they need, keep a sharp eye for folks who do not belong,,,, Shoot, if you live out in the country a bit, snakes, bears, coyotes, ponds , rivers, etc.,,,, But there is a big difference between caution and paranoia.

Life is not meant to be safe, and a safe life, is a life in a cage. Kids are going to get hurt to varying degrees and yes, some(a very , very, few) of them are going to get killed, that is how it works.

Flying squirrels! This has gotten so bad that there is a movement, and even day and summer camps geared toward exposing kids to managed risks.
    How fracked up is it that some(parents) need that?

The world, life, has always been dangerous. Little has changed.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldn't change a thing. Life could be better or worse at times, but I like who I am, my friends, my experiences...good and bad.

My dad grew up during the depression, and served in the Korean war, and was very strict...and old fashioned. Kinda expected us to grow up like he did. I had 5 older sisters, and we didn't have much money. We weren't spoiled. We didn't even have a TV until I was 14 years old, so I had to occupy myself in other ways. Some good...some not so good, but ALL learning experiences.

Anyways, we didn't have all the stuff that alot of other folks did, and I don't regret it a bit. Young people growing up these days don't have a clue about alot of things because alot of them are raised by the TV, or the X-Box. Yeah, we have all the goodies now, but I appreciate getting away from it mostly. Gimme a knife to whittle with, or a fishin' pole, or a gun...or just a day in the woods looking for mushrooms, or hiking. That's entertainment for me. Alot of young folks don't appreciate that kind of thing. I don't get bored outside.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i guess growing up with all the hi-tech stuff would be cool but i was too busy shoveling cow and chicken crap that even if all that stuff was around i wouldn't of had time to enjoy it, heck i was like the last one out of all my friends to get one of those pong video games when they first came out, i had other things on my mind then playing video games.....Girls :smile2:

13. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    The only thing I got to say is I grew into what I am because of the way I grew up I am worried that so many of the young these days will not know how to act out in reality so because of that I made sure my kids did not have all that was available to them until they were old enough to know both ways yes I am glad I grew up before hi tech

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will have to vote for the high tech era. I like my PC, and Abu 7000c3i and automatic transmissions. lol I believe it's more of a where you grow up as opposed to when. Now a lot of my relatives had out door plumbing we had indoor. We had a private telephone they had to share their rings with neighbors. Some still only had radios and round TV's We were the first on our block with color TV! wow did that cut in to my Tom Sawyer time lol. Toy's with batteries was common in town, but you had to nail tin cans on to poles for stilts or run a string through a couple of them to be high tech country. Don't fool your self, yes some small home towns were safe some safer than others. Most large metropolitan areas were just as corrupt and dangerous as today. Do you all see what I'm getting at? Even with all of the advancements in technology we see today, family values, social standing and location , location , location have had more of an impact on our lives than when.:big_smile:

15. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Without a doubt I am very thankful I was raised when I was. I was born in 1959 and things were so much simpler. You didn't have to be afraid of sending your kids to school,for fear of school shootings,or too much sex talk.When I was a kid I first fished with a limb my dad sawed off a tree with fishing line,Then I progressed to a cane pole,and then I got my first rod and reel which was a Zebco 202. You could get on other folks land and fish their farm pond.Ya can't now. I used a forked stick for a pole holder. Yes things were so much simpler back then and I miss those times. Wish my girls could have been raised like that.:smile2:

16. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I would love to grow up today but only if I was raised by the parents I had.
    I think that if I were a teenager today I would turn out just fine if I had the same parents.
    They were strict, and very disciplinary but fair (though I didn't always think so back then) and they loved my sister and me.
    They made us do chores and earn our (very small) allowance. We didn't have a lot of money and they always put our needs ahead of their own but we weren't even slightly spoiled. They taught us values and we were in no doubt of the difference between right and wrong.
    They made us go outside and play. We too didn't have a TV until I was about ten years old so staying in wasn't much fun anyway.
    That works just as well today as it did back then.

There is so much cool stuff and so many cool opportunities for kids today that were unheard of back then.
    The worse part about being a kid these days I think, is that the consequences for making childish mistakes are so much more severe.
    We were in no danger of being stalked by crack dealers on the way home from school (yes, we walked) but at the same time we couldn't get online and chat with someone on the other side of the world.
    If we screwed up the usual consequence was a whack from the teacher or dad or at worse getting our arses chewed by the local policeman who did his "patrol" on a bicycle.
    Disagreements were settled by fist fights or other macho means or by two dads talking or an unofficial "judgement" from the aforementioned policeman. There were no guns, lawyers, shrinks or mandatory social worker involvement.
    It's all relative; the good these days is awesome, the bad is awful, but the cool stuff is simply amazing!
    ...W

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I like growing up when I did. If not I wouldn't know what I know today.

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Kids today face more peer pressure and there is lots of bad stuff going on today. I probably would be caught right up in the mist of the crap. Also i doubt i would have the passion for hunting and fishing i do. My work ethics likely wouldn't be real high and i would likely be a fat little kid sittin on the cough. Think i had rather just be a pot bellied ole man and stay where i'm at.:wink:

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I loved growing up in my own time! Sure kids have all the cool toys at their disposal nowadays...but I remember actually leaving my room and going outside to play with my friends. Playing football in the street and riding my bike until the street lights came on...going to the park to get up a game of strike out or softball. Lookng back on it...even the fights I got my butt kicked in taught me how to deal with getting punched in the face:smile2:. Too many kids are allowed to live in isolation these days as a result of all the cool technology...just the same though, if the BOC had been around when I was growing up...I might have the world record flathead by now!!:smile2::smile2:

20. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I grew up when a telephone number had three digits and there were only two TV channels and we lived on the river or creek all summer.I loved it that way.I didnt have kids til I was 48 and now they are becoming teenagers so they live in a different world.Heres my point,even though they take all the modern stuff for granted that didnt even exist when I was a kid they are growing up a lot like I did.My kids wade the river with me and catch helgramites for bait.They both want tube floats this summer so we can all fish together.But now we have cell phones and a digital camera to take with us.Life is good,you get out what you put in.PS one thing we love to do is make an otter slide at the river and slide down the mud bank.