Would you like to design your own kayak/canoe/ocean liner?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Nov 5, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am wanting to loft a kayak of my own design, then build it using a wood strip technique, but wasn't sure about how to do this without spending big bucks on a CAD program.

Well, I found a completely freeware program called Delftship that is simply amazing! This is not shareware, nor is it a cheap, crippled program; in fact, it is one of the most outstanding CAD programs that I have ever seen.

There will be quite a learning curve involved, mixing nautical terminology with advanced CAD techniques, but the manual is good and the tutorials outstanding. The gallery has no less than three good kayak designs and a number of canoes to download.

You will also find links in the documentation to Bearboat, a kayak design tool. Download this as well!

http://www.delftship.net

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Dont' forget the solar powered coffee maker.:big_smile:

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    There are a few features missing in this software that shows up in the user documentation, unfortunately. The automatic fairing feature of the professional version would be nice too, but you don't really need it with something as small as a kayak. You don't need the tank designer for drawing kayaks either, but the section printing feature is essential in order to cut wood forms.

However, there is a workaround!

Turn off all layers, as well as all lines such as buttocks and waterlines; leave only the grid and section lines displayed.

Now, in the plan view, open the sections dialog and delete all sections except the one you want to print.

When you print, the grid and the section form will be printed. Now about scaling...I print to a PDF file using a PDF995 print driver. I can capture this PDF picture using a graphics tool called IrfanView (all of this software is freeware). IrfanView allows you to print to scale, even over multiple pages!

You repeat the process for the remaining sections. Print to scale, glue the pages to your form wood, then cut your forms to the nice, smooth outline produced by fairing your curves in Delftship.