Would you Kill a giant catfish for your name in the record books?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by AZflats, Sep 25, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I caught a giant flathead over the weekend which could have easily been the new AZ state record...
    There was no certified scale over 60lbs...

Would you risk the fish dying by transporting it somewhere to be weighed? Or would you release it after measuring it and photographing it?

~ I made the decision to let her go last Sunday, and becouse of it, I won't get the actual state record, nor will I even know what the actual weight was..

* I am submitting for a catch and release state record. based on length and girth...

** I have been dreaming of a state record for the last few years. Now I fear my once in a lifetime chance is gone..

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thanks for the catch an release you rever know how long that fish has been aliveor how long he will live thanks agine

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't need prestige or notoriety.Therefore my answer is no.If I am ever lucky enough to land a huge fish all I want is it's photograph and measurements,so I could have a replica on the wall.pk powell:smile2:

4. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Man You did the right thing I don't know if I would be able to let a record go but you did the right thing.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I would have turned it in for the record and tried my best to keep it alive. I'm all for letting a big fish go, but being totally honest I know that if I had a possible state record I would do whatever I have to, to get it turned in.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Very nice, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with katmaster jr. on this one i would have done my best to find out the weight without killin it like maybe even puttin it in like a holdin pin in the water while i went and got scales that could measure it but either way u made a good choice. nice catch

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i agree as well what ever had to be done , but my name would be in the books

9. Buknasty

Buknasty New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You have my respect for your decision, but I don't think I could've done the same.

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Andy,

Not sure what I would do but it would be a tough choice. I would probably try to keep it alive and record it for the books. If it died on me then I would definately eat it and not let it go to waste. Many fishermen never count on catching such a prize and are ill prepared when they do. Your post has made me take another look at my plan-of-action just in case. Hats off to you.

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    A big fish like this might not ever bite my line again, but if it does.... I'm ready!!!:lol:

12. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    I have to admit that it would be a very hard decision to make, but in the end, I think you did the right thing. I caught a big fish a year ago and Vern forgot to bring the camera. I would have loved to have had it weighed and a pic of it, but we decided to let it go. We were too far from the dock. I'm hoping that one day I'll meet up with him again and this time Vern will have the camera. If not, I'll throw Vern in and keep the fish.:big_smile:

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There is an old saying,"Go with your gut instinct", That's what you did & therefore made it right & I commend you for it.:wink:

Your decision will not effect anyone but yourself & if you DIDN"T think it was right, you NEVER would have done in the first place.

Now rather or not I could have done it........:roll_eyes:

14. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I think you made the right decision Had it been my I would have done the same thing.

15. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey man as a lot of have posted and said in our heads we might not have been able to make the same choice but u made a great conservation decision my hat is off to ya. i think all would agree.

16. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    man, that had to be one heck of a hard decision. honestly the only way i woudlve put it back is if i didnt have the stuff to take it with me and you know what i never take anything to carry a fish out of there with me. it wouldve been a long and hard thought process for me. im glad you did it though. congrats on the catch my friend!:big_smile:

17. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    You did what you thought was right, and you should be commended for that decision. I would have done anything in my power at that time to find a way to keep it alive and weighed though. But still it's good to know that there are people like you out there.

Wheelmobile07

18. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I know what I would have done, And Alot of people would do otherwise. I would have kept it weighed it certified it , and had it mounted.... Any cat over 50 lbs. I am lucky enough ta catch on a ROD-N- REEL will be mounted and eaten.....

19. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Not sure of other states but here if you have a possible state record you can call the Parks and Wildlife and they will help you transport your catch and in some cases bring the scales to you. I have even seen this done with lake records.

You can get the record and keep the fish alive. It may be some work but it can be done.

20. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    * I must have made a hundred phone calls that morning sitting on the marina dock....
    * I called IGFA, I called AZ game and fish, I called the new Cabellas store that opened up..

* Nobody could help..
    ~ The game and fish will normaly send a rep out to assist and weigh it.. But they were too wrapped up with the start of the hunting season and did not have anyone available..
    ~ Cabellas said it was against the law in AZ to accept a fish not from AZ game and fish dept.
    ~ IGFA said I needed a certified scale....
    - Okay, but where? I had no way to transport the thing..
    * So I measured it, had a few witnesses, and KISSED HER GOOD BYE.:cry: