Would you grease your bearings if....

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by paleocaver, Mar 27, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I made a 75 mile trip on Saturday. Immediately upon arrival I felt the hubs, they were cool as ice. I haven't greased the bearing in a while but use bearing buddies. Should I leave it alone or clean thm because it's time?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    If it's time, I'd do it. That's why it is called PREVENTATIVE maintenance. You don't want to wait until they are getting hot, at that point, damage is already being done.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Keep them full of grease and check them regularly. If they're not gettnig hot, there's nothing wrong. And if you haven't blown out one of the seals, they should be nice and clean on the inside. Be careful to avoid over-filling with grease or you increase the risk of blowing a grease seal.

My big boat has a slightly different kind of bearing greasing system, but to my knowledge, they've never been changed in 12 years. And there's not a thing wrong with them.

4. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    How many trailers have you seen on the side of the road? I woulnt want it to ruin my fishing trip. It only takes a hour to clean inspect and pack the bearings on a single axel trailer.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Its a lot easier and cheaper than a new axle.

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Another trick is to give each bearing a couple shots of grease just before you dip the trailer at the ramp.

7. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    get some grease zerks and drill a hole in the cap and screw in the zerk. then you can add grease anytime with a gun but it still doesnt hurt to clean the old greas out once and a while.

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have several types of trailers and I make sure I clean and grease them every year or more. Haveing to replace hubs or axles gets kind of costly and preventive maintenance is the best thing. :big_smile:

9. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I touch my hubs on every trip but gease them when I should

10. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    using bearing buddies you dont have to add grease each time

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bearing Buddies are great because they keep positive pressure inside the hub, therfore keeping water out. But as Mr. T said, don't over fill them or you will blow the rear seal out sure as crap.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    In BETWEEN your yearly bearing maintenance(teardown & inspection) it is a good idea to make sure that your hubs are full of grease, by pumping the bearing buddies up until the spring is collapsed, there is a "weep" hole towards the outer lip which is supposed to vent off over-pressurization,DO NOT depend on it, you WILL blow out the rear seals as others have stated.

Now, Bearing Buddy has come out with a new product, which lubes the bearings using the same principle of heavy trucks & equipment, constant lube bath. It comes as a kit, consisting of a new style outer cap, inner seal & lubricant. You fill the hub with the supplied special lubricant, which is done via a clear lens on the cap, so not only can you visually inspect the level of lube but also check for water intrusion(milky appearance). By using this style there is no longer a concern as to seal blowout.

A bit of good advice in regards to wheel bearing/chassis greases, is that they are NOT compatible from one type to another. Whatever you are using, stick with it. Believe it or not, you are actually doing more harm by mixing grease types, due to the fact that it causes seperation leading to grease "washout"

13. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    After replacing bearings on three different occasions(mine and friends) i now carry tools, bearings and grease gun in the truck so no more Wally World trips at 2 am. Also check them at the start of the season(now for me) and use bearing buddies.