Would you fish catfish tourneys, if no money could be won.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Sep 25, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Would you still fish catfish tournys if no money could be won? Only trophys would be given out.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i would and i have lol

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yes, I would fish them still.

-Jim-

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
  5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yes! I love the atmosphere of the tournaments. Most of all, I love the hour before the tournament begins and the hour after weigh in is complete. Tournaments are a great social experience/experiment that has a wealth of information to be obtained if someone is willing to put in the effort.

In fact, I like tournaments so much, that I started a local tournament trail down here in Columbus, GA because there was not an existing tournament series. It is very safe to say, that I spend way more money running these events than I win.

6. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my dad and I fish the neocats tourney and we have won money naybe 3 times in about 40 or so tourneys over 3 years and have never won more than 100 dollars between us. To me it's all about the catfishing and spending time with my dad. My dad is 62 and has really bad emphysema and I have to enjoy every minute with him I can. So to answer the question I would definitely fish for a trophy cuz we don't win any money anyway. And like the previous guy wrote it is just fun bs ing with the other guys on the circuit I have made some good friends, and I believe most of the people that fish neocats are really good people.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have and have a couple 1st place trophys. :wink:

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would fish even more tourneys if that was the case. I like the lower price tourneys versus the big money tourneys. When people only do something for money it becomes more like a job and who really has fun at their job?

I've taken a step back from things like this in 2009 and it's really changed the way I look at tourneys. When I fish them again next year I'm going to be going with the idea of haivng fun not in order to make money.

Good post/topic Jack.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah, without a doubt.

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heck yeah i would. Its more about the challenge of competing against other fisherman that draws me in...moreso than the cash...

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I plan on hitting the tournament scene in 2010 and winning a cash prize gives you something to look forward to , but sure I would fish one for the heck of it . My grandson has won our local fishing derby from ages 5 to 12 . He has won fior the past 5 years straight . They win a rod and reel and a trophy. If you ask him the trophy is more important then if it was cash ....lol .

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would be more likely to. Money leads to rules which feels like work.

13. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    I definitely would YES...........i think when there is money on the line it takes the FUN out of fishing tournaments.............too many guys are in it for the MONEY only !!! Its about competing against other anglers and seeing how well you can do . Too many people cant handle losing when there is MONEY on the line and that takes the FUN out of it for me !!!!

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is pretty much the way I see it to. I go to work all week so I can make money and fish for enjoyment. I don't want to make fishing a second job.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes.. I have looked at the tournament fishing different than anyone has mentioned. Everyone like to win some money and a big trophy. however there is a lot more that comes from a tournament that standing in the winners circle. Learning new ideas and methods, what produces (Bait), locations, friendships/partners, Boats/Equipment, and Sportsmanship, to name a few. If you fish a tournament and don't win money or trophy, you are still a big winner.

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would love to fish more friendly tourneys. I haven't fished in any as of yet. But as soon as I get back, I am going to fish as many tourneys as possible. Better watch out I am coming for your crown:big_smile:

17. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sure would. Got a couple trophies and plaques from a few years back, but any money I may have won has been long since spent:smile2::smile2: Getting together and exchanging ideas and know how is the meaningful part of these get togethers and you don't have nearly the animosity that money seems to bring into the equation--a much more friendly competition all around. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

18. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    In England, in the sport of clay pigeon shooting there is a category called "Birds only". You still shoot the same targets as the guys shooting for money and you can still be the overall winner but you pay a much lower entry fee and you do not participate in the prize money even if you are the overall winner. A trophy is all you get.
    Many guys shoot in this class. If you enter into the money part of it you are shooting against those who turn up only for the money and who you have little to no chance of beating. May as well just give them the entry fee in the parking lot and go home and not waste the shells!!!

Some entire tournaments are "Birds only" and the entire atmosphere is so much nicer. The hot shots stay away because there is no money and the playing field if much more level.

If there was a category called "Fish only" in tourneys with just a trophy and and a much lower entry fee I think a lot more guys would give tournament fishing a try.
    J.M.H.O...W

19. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I would still fish them.But My take is that you cant do anything for free. Movies, bar, going out to eat, or even fishing for fun is not free either. Winning money is just a plus if you get in the winners circle. If you dont, you still got to fish, and you still would have had to spend money to fish anyways, so whats an extra 30 to 50 bucks to get into a tourny. And the big tournies only come around so often, and the atmosphere at a big one is like nothing else to me. A feeling I cant describe, to know if you win, you were the best out there on that day. Thats a good feeling. It hasnt happened to me that often, lol..but when it has happened, its been good.

20. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    probably would if i had the ability to keep them healthy enough to put back in the water. if not, no i would not!!