Would you eat cloned meat?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Jan 15, 2008.

Would you eat cloned meat, if it was labeled as such?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I luv it. A straight forward yes or no question.

My answer is yes, yes and yes. Why not? Who can tell me why not?

I don't remember reading in Matthew Mark, Luke or John where I shouldn't. And if they told me not to I might be even more inclined to do it.

I would eat irradiated meat. I don't like additional bugs that will kill me.

Greatest thing since oleomargarine.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I didn't vote Cheryl. Right now, I'm not sure. I think that if cloning animals proves to either save, or make money for the industry, it will become standard practice in due time, and we won't have alot of choice about it. I do think that it may be possible to improve, and stablize the quality of commercial livestock, as it is the breeding stock that they want to clone, and selling their offspring. I don't think that it would be unsafe. We eat cloned, and otherwise genetically enhanced vegetables all the time, and are unaware. Other than ethically, I don't know what the big scare is.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I grow most of my meat.So I not going to eat cloned meat if I don't have to.I want to see how it does before I do.

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    it doesnt have to have a soul to be tasty!!!! just look at m and m's...

i like the idea of them cloning livestock, and maybe doing the whole doc. genius thing to keep disease and stuff out. then again, i wouldnt eat it if i thought it would hurt the American farmers.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well, another question, if we introduce the cloned meat and it becomes an everyday thing, then do you think the price of meat will come down? :crazy::smile2:

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    the only prices i see coming down any time soon are for realestate and lumber.

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As far as the meat goes I do not think anyone could tell the difference. There are a lot of benefits the could be seen as some have already posted. Unless someone can show some problems that would be caused from it I would eat it with out a second glance.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    inch thick and medium rare yummmmm wouldnt make a difference to me :big_smile:

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always like the real stuff better than imitation in any product. Like butter, sugar etc. But if it does happen, it will be a money thing, probly wont have a choice and I'm sure China will be the ones shipping it to us. LOL. It wont be cheaper. have you ever seen price go down. I aint taking bout a JC Penny sale every other day. LOL.

Cloning might be a good way to feed all the starving people of the world but, the money thing would kick in first.
    I dont know enough about it. If it would be safe. Seems our FDA and Gov inspectors isn't up to par these days. Look at all the new approved drugs. many has been recalled and so has our food. Who do you trust to say its safe.

If they star cloning, I say let Iraq , China etc. have first taste for a few years . They can be our test rats. LOL. If they dont kill over after a couple years of eating it, bring on the meat. I like T-bones the best. But, I want to cook it myself. LOL

I didn't vote cause I aint saying yes or no to something I aint sure about.

One thing for sure, meat is hi now days. One T-bone cost 10 to 20 bucks at wal mart
    I need 2 more deer. LOL.

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Why not? Meat is meat is meat is meat. As long as they aren't adding anything to it I'm all for it. Heck they may even be able to make it better for us.

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Heck, Dano, we might have already been the lab rats, we will never know.

Would any of y'all own a cloned pet? Then we will get to humans, how about that? Wanna clone of Selma Hayak for your wife? :tounge_out:

Does anyone know right off if the cloned animals can have offspring? How did that turn out, if it's happened?

Some things we move to fast on, and some things too slow. I really don't know, but if it was labeled as cloned, I wouldn't buy it, unless I had to, then I just might turn into eating cloned veggies and become a vegetarian.

Oops, ramblin in the wrong thread again,
    Cheryl

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I voted yes, bring it on, I'll give it a try.
    I prefer center cut filet cooked medium. :big_smile:

Like the others have said.. doubt I'd know the difference.

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Only if I can pay for it with cloned money...:smile2:

15. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I voted no. Cloned meat all tastes the same!:smile2::eek:oooh::smile2::roll_eyes:

16. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I believe that the cloned animals will be the breeding stock of tomorrow. Give birth to suppierior cattle and hogs and chcikens . They will be cloned from the best bulls and cows and the best boars and sows. These animals will pass on genetics to their ofspring to grow faster , utilize feed more efficently and produce the most table appealing meat for the least amount of money spent by the farmer and or corprate livestock feeder. The meat will not be any cheaper . Unless of course the demand is oer whelmed by production.

Supply and demand still drives prices. Right now there is over production in the swine industry. Pork should be as cheap as it will have been in two to three years. Pork producers are recieving less than it cost to feed them. The problem is that the big corprate farms that own the pig from birth to slaughter to your grocer own all of that , vertical intergration, The corprate gaint makes money no matterr what. The price is controlled. So in the future nothing will be any cheaper than it is now. I will get off my soap box now.

By the way I am a dairy farmer and used to raise pigs. I voted no. I still think nature is still at its best when it is not messed with. JMHO

17. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I voted yes. Meat is meat and it all seems to taste the same. I don't think there will be a big difference in the taste.

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Suppose I would, BUT I don't think it is all that good of an idea.

With less diversity in genetics, the chance that large numbers of critters could be lost to one disease increases dramatically.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I voted NO ,and I'll tell all of ya just why. I'm not opposed to eating it as much as buying it ,it all boils down to pushing out the farmer,and rancher for huge corperate farms ,and I'm totally against it .

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when they start cloneing deer,wild hogs,squriel.rabbit,fish and any thing else that runs wild ill eat it.but as long as ive got wild things to eat i aint buying it.