Would you buy this boat for $200.00?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by okie catfishen, Aug 30, 2006.

1. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I have a friend that wants to get rid of this boat so he will have a place to park his new one. He bought it for $1000.00 and planded on rebuilding it but never got around to it in 3 years, but he left it uncovered everything but the motor and the floor rotted out. The motor will run but will not stay running because it has set for so long. It is a 17' Baretta Super Sport with a 4 cyld. volvo inboard motor. There is a few scratches on the outside but no holes or dints. I was thinking of making it into a fishing boat? Let me know what you think.

Keith,
    Newcastle, Ok

Attached Files:

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    heck yeah its worth that

3. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    heck yeah, a little tlc and your good as new

4. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    check it over real good, and I would check on parts in your area for the motor as far as cost. After I did research and thought I had time to rebuild it, seems like a fair price. The trailer is worth at least $100 bucks I would say.JMO

5. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County

like the duckhunter said, the trailer might be worth $200. One thing to keep in mind is how much time/money you have to spend.

If it will cost you 1,000-1,500 to get it like you want it could you get another boat you like for the similar $$$$

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    if you got an inside place to work on it and plenty of patience it looks like itd be a worthwhile project.:big_smile:

7. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Looks pretty good from 20 feet away. Trailer is for sure worth $200.

As for the boat... The weather was NOT kind to that poor boat. With the floors being that rotton I would worry about more structural damage that may not be so obvious. With that being an I/O I would be concerned that the stringers might by soft. Even if they are incapsolated in fiberglass they can still rot out. That can lead to all kinds of problems, including keeping the motor where it belongs... in the boat!

Just my $.02 worth. If you decide to make a project out of it, then PLEASE take lots of pictures and keep us informed.

_

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    How much money do you have to throw away? If you have enough, you might get that boat into usable condition some day. If you run out of money, you'll have a half-rebuilt boat that's worth about $500 no matter how much you've spent on it.

You couldn't give that boat to me. Even if I was looking for a "project" boat.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    uh yeah i would take that

10. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i thinkt hat the boat is worth it but just make sure you have the money and the time to spend on it. i have a boat in that condition and had the same plan and it's still sitting. waitting on money to put into it. it's going to take a bit to get it into running order not alone the condition of the boat it's self. some one said earlier that the runners under the deck could be bad and i have that problem with mine right now. i think that all i did was buy someone elses headake. i would not buy that boat.

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you are willing to put the sweat equity into it--go for it!:lol:

12. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    looks like alot of work and money to me sorry just my opinion

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think it'd work out just fine. Have the motor straightened out, gut the whole thing dwon to the stringers (amke sure they haven't rotted out - hopefully, they will not be wood - fi so you'll have to replace them too: doable, but a bit more work) and glass in a new deck. Mount some rod holders and put in a livewell and go fishin!

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mr. T is right on it. The $$ you pay for it will soon be forgotten as the cost to rebuild it climbs and as he says, no matter how much you have in it it'll only be worth what you can get for it. I am a big believer in hard work equals results but no amount of "sweat equity" will offset the dollars needed to restore it.
    Marine grade supplies are expensive and there is no point doing half a job. Even if you plan to sell it when it's done you wouldn't want it on your consience that someone is out in a boat you know had compromises made in it's rebuild.
    I have been through this exercise and a boat I had $7,000 in I ended up selling for $1,000. Everything is do-able but some things are better left alone unless you are totally committed.
    You may end up with something to be proud of but you will never get your money back out of it if you do it right.
    If you go ahead with it I wish you good luck...W

15. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    its worth 200 I would buy it

16. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm With Both Of Ya, Steer Clear Of It. You'll Have More $$ In It Than It's Worth BEFORE You're Finished. JMHO But I'll Bet On It

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Whoa fellas, i see a boat that he may have 500 in if he puts down some plywood for a couple years use. Mines eating that much every two months and if he gets two years out of it i'd say that would be a good investment. My question would be do you have a boat? If not the trailer is worth that.......

18. chattycatty

chattycatty New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Probably worth $200! If you have the time, money and patience to invest, I say go for it!

19. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    I THINK THE MAIN CONCERN WOULD BE WHAT KIND OF SHAPE THE OUTDRIVE IS IN. THATS WHAT WILL HURT YOU IF ITS BAD.:roll_eyes:

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Boat, motor trailer = $ 200.00
    Floor & stringers = $1000.00
    Labor = FREE

sell in two years at 1200.00 = loss on cost of labor
    sell in two years at 1500.00 = recoup labor of $300.00
    sell in two years at 2000.00 = break even on labor (all most)
    Use of boat for 1 to 1 1/2 years means your way ahead of the cost.

fix it up right where it will last another 8 or 10 years and your way, way ahead of the cost. Every year boats are more expensive. You buy used boats now for what I paid for a brand new 19' deep V with an 85 HP Evinrude and dilly tilt trailer in '78 (about $4,200). But when you get right down to it, you have to go by your gut feelings.