Would this work???

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by lroyal, Oct 29, 2007.

1. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    a friend of mine said that his dad used to catch coons by finding a log that is partly submerged in a creek then drilling a 2 inch hole in the log a couple inches below the waters surface. after he drilled the hole take a couple of nails and drive them in the log around tho hole where the sharp end of the nails are inside the hole. the he would take a peice of tin foil and drop inside the hole. the coon puts in its hand and grabs the foil and cant get it out because of the nails and he is caught. i think this was in Where the red fern grows. i just wanna know if this would work and if any of yall have tied it. thanks for the info.

Lee

2. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would STRONGLY advise aginst trying that . I would think it to be illegal not to mention inhumane . No animal deserves to be treated in that manner IMHO . Trapping gets enough black eyes without trying something like that .

A steel jawed trap on a slide wire to deep water or a connibear trap is my method of catching coon . Set right they will out produce old out of date type things like that .

Pete

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Ive read that book many many times, and he only catches i think one coon on a line he set down river many sets long. lol, the book didnt even make it sound like a successful way to trap. Go with steel...

4. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    this is a compleatly theoretical post. im not gonna try it i was just wondering if it could work.

5. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i dont get it.

where do you put the trap?
    is there even a trap?
    why is it inhumane?
    what catches the animal?
    :confused2:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is the trap,the nails stick in the coons leg from all sides and he supposedly wont let go of the bait to get out . It might work ,but I'd only use in a survival action.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i made several of those 'sets' while trapping muskrats. i only had the single coilsprings in size 1, and a lot of the time coons would pull out, often as i was walking up to them. talk about teed off! anyway i never even saw hair on the nails, and the 'bait' was never touched as far as i know. stick to the drowning rigs or conibears- you don't want to mess with a live pi$$ed off coon, trust me! i have pulled several out of foothold traps that were intended for other critters, and it never was very fun having one in the trap with even a few feet of slack wire. they can and will do their damnedest to get their teeth in ya! i got my idea from wilson rawls' book as well. maybe it worked back in the good ol days, but not in our era of trapper and hunter educated animals!

8. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    ahhh... i see
    now i get it. yeah it does sound kind of inhumane

9. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Having coon pulling out of a # 1 coil spring trap is most likely caused by one of 2 things . Weak springs or something close by they can help to power themselves out with . They are a powerful animal when pulling . I try to not set where they can get ahold of anything solid to pull on .

Weak springs is an easy cure . Pop out the spring end from under the lever and after ttension is off pound out the spring retainer pin. I usually remove the pan as well making it easier . Reverse the process to put new springs on . I do get music wire springs as they are stouter and last longer . 4 Coiling a small trap is unwise in my estimation .

Pete

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    the only reason i would do this is to catch a live coon to train a dog. i guess you could use a box trap and that would be much easier.