Would this work? - Fresh Deer Scrapes for Catfish Attractant?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 6, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was thinking of putting scarpes like this in a minnow trap & hang over the boat while fishing. I figured it would put a good scent out. I've also thought about doing it when fishing bankside on the Scioto at the top of a hole, making the scent flow downstream. Am I nuts, or could my idea work?

This is fresh deer scrapes. I had some loin chops & I cut the meat off the bone & only use certain chunks of the meat.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I think it would probaly work. Looks bloody enough were it would carry some scent down river. :)

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    should work, i done something similar years back at a BIG GRAVEL PIT/PARK (should know mellon) near my house with a 3 gallon bucket full of holes,about 150 cut up bluegills and a cinderblock. we had channel cat paradise for about 2 weeks.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink,

I told Flathunter last year about an idea like that. I know for a fact that it would bring in every turtle for a mile and........ SNAKES. :eek:

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how about on your way to his place next year picking up all the road kill on the way and stuffing it in a big burlap with a cinderblock and sinking it :sick-big: at the head of the hole?

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hmmm i might actually try that myself!

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    beleive me, I've thought of some strange stuff, nothing involving road kill, but some strange stuff.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea Bryan you do think of strange stuff..Like chicken breast for flatheads.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    LMAO!!! Hey people have been doing this for years, it is called chumming, LOL!!! :p :p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I hope you are planning to tie a rope to this bag, cause if you don't you are just creating another place to loose tackle at your fishing hole, LOL!!! :eek:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellons bait on his hook usually turns into chum well before a fish will find it :D I have seen the Lad go weeks, months, years without a bite!

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brayn still needs to tell you guys about the night he baited up with a big live crappie and casted straight into a tree :D

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i got one better! freind of mine was drunk one night fishing on the bank and tried casting out a 1lb carp, he flung it really hard and the carp came off, went straight into the air, and came right down on top of his head! SPRAINED A MUSCLE IN HIS NECK!

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink that is a good one! Also Mellon caught his first snapper this year, did not know they would bite..He reached down and tired to hook his scales in the turtles mouth, he got a rude surprise! :D

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lucky he still has all his fingers!

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you two need to take a video camera with you! i started this year but nothing special happened.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    road kill works good hung on a tree limb over your hole. the magots drop in the water and draw baitfish. i dont mean the B.O.C. member BAITFISH either. lol :D

chumming is illegal over here in indiana so read the regs mellon.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats odd chumming is perfectly legal here in Ohio. The carp guys do it all the time.

19. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    It should work make so you put the pieces of meat in a ziplock bag and get as much blood in it as possible. I havent tried it in freshwater but when we are fishing the ocean in NC for sharks we set up chum bags with pieces of fish that the people are cleaning at the pier. We tie the chum sack on when its full and toss it out and wait for signs of the sharks hitting it, when they do we cast all of our biggest and bloodiest bait we can find. For flathead and channels i would say set a up a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it and set it with the guts at the top of the hole

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont know about Flats, but I think it would work well for Channels. I still perfer a big 10inch Goldfish or 5-9 inch Bluegill for Flats!