Would this work for catfish chum?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brewfish, Feb 5, 2008.

1. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    I brew beer and as a result I end up with a lot of spent grain that gets put in the trash. I know for a fact that this stuff stinks to high heaven if left to "ferment" in a closed enviroment for a few days. Since cats seem to be so attracted to nasty smells is there some way that I might be able to used my spent grain to help me catch some fish? I have thought about taking some old fish guts and what not, blending that up and then mixing that in with the grain and putting it in some type mesh container for chumming.

I've never tried chumming before and don't know if what i'm talking about is worth the effort.

Any thoughts?

Joe

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Try adding floor to it and use as some stink bait. It sounds like it might work tho Ive never chumed

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never never add floor! Gary you know better than that. If you want a good stink bait every ones knows that you should only add ceiling. It will stay on your hook and float up off the bottom. lol:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes it should work well, may take a few days or so to get going but some of the better spots here on the rivers are at the loaders docks where the grain spills over all the time, so your left over should attract some fish also, I would give it a shot, if it is ok to do so in your area, make sure you can use chum first, some places don't allow it.

Now a sample of the beer we could give ya a better answer:wink: :smile2:

If not I would think you could get rid of it to a farmer, if your just looking for a place to dispose of it.

5. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I believe it would work well as chum.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :big_smile:GET -M-DRUNK AND CATCH-M- UP !!!

7. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I chum with soured grain all of the time. It will really attract the channel cats. If I'm going to be fishing straight down I don't like to be shallower than 13 feet or so. Look for areas along a point, ledge or creek channel. It also best if you can locate fish on your fish finder first. Pick about 3 areas to fish and scatter out about a quart or so at each location. After chumming the three spots, go back to the first spot and fish with punch bait on a #4 or #6 treble hook right near the bottom. If the bite slows down, scatter a little more grain. If that doensn't pick things up in just a few minutes, move to the second spot. You'll find that some spots will work better than others. Just keep trying new spots until you find several good ones a various depths. If you can do this once a week or so, you'll condition the fish to stay around the spots. You can really load the boat with eating size cats this way. Just rember that the bite can be really light fishing this way. Set the hook when you feel any tap, heavy or weightless feeling. Those fish aren't moving much when they are feeding down there and don't hit the bait running.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I agree with Bobby on this one. A typical "recipe" for chum is to ferment the grain by throwing it in a five-gallon bucket, adding water, then letting it sit in the sun for a few days.

What you have here as "dregs" sounds quite similar, so should work just fine.

It does pay to check on the chumming regulations for your area first. If you're not allowed, then the stink bait idea is definitely worth pursuing! :big_smile:

9. sarg

sarg New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Joe
    Chum is great, I make mine with MILO and 4 or 5 perch in a five gallon buckets 1 cup of sugar and 1 can of beer, this starts the fermentation (and I keep three bucket on hand at all time) after 4 days of fermentation I snap the lids on tight. I let my buckets set in the sun for at least 2 months or longer. I chum 3 to 4 spot at a time. Then go back to the first chum spot and stat fishing.

10. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    Well I couldn't find a single thing in the regulations about chumming one way or the other so I can only assume that it's ok.

I'm glad to hear that this stuff will works since I will have it on hand anyways as long as I brew beer. This is my type of recycling, beer for me and stinky crushed barley for the fishes, which will then feed me! :smile2: woohoo!

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's what I found in their regs located at:

http://floridafisheries.com/rules.html#NEW REGULATIONS

"USE OF FISH FOR BAIT
    ● Black bass, peacock bass or any part thereof may not be used as bait.
    ● Live goldfish or carp may not be used as bait.
    ● Whole pickerel or bream (e.g., bluegill, redear sunfish, redbreast sunfish, spotted sunfish, flier, warmouth) or parts thereof may be used as bait for sportfishing by he angler who caught them. Whole pickerel or bream or parts thereof may not be used as bait for trotlines or bush hooks or any method other than by rod and reel or pole and line."

As you said, chum isn't mentioned at all, but there are limitations on using parts of some fish for bait.

That being said, as far as a mixture of soured grain and ground fish scraps being effective, I don't recall ever hearing of anyone trying that. Seems like it should work, but I'd try some reasonably small batches first, and test them against other areas, some chummed with only sour grain, and some only with ground fish. Another way of using the fish scraps without having to grind them up is to put them in a burlap or onion bag with a rock for weight, tie the top closed with a long rope, drop the bag at the spot where you want the chum, then tie the rope to something (float, stump, shoreline, etc.) so you can retreive the bag later for reuse or proper disposal.

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Work it right and you just might be able to catch your catfish already breaded in beer batter! :tounge_out:

13. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    Contrary to popular belief, there is little in common between what humans smell in the air and what catfishfish detect in the water. Odors that persist in the air do not necessarily dissolve in water and become detectable or attractive to catfish. But that doesn't mean sour grain wouldn't make a good chum

14. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    Hmm, that's a good point Mark, guess I never really thought about that.

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i've chummed for cats using corn and soybeans. what u have going with the fermented grain should work just fine. if u have channels cats in the area, they should come to this like a dinner bell. Heck, give it a try and post the results.:cool2:

16. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Soured grain works real good as chum. I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might have to buy them a beer after you catch them tho.:big_smile:

17. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Fermintation causes the grains to swell and burst releasing the oils inside. The oils carry the scent in the water like a bloodtrail. I think a ground fish/grain combo would work well. Might throw some jello packs or Knox gelatin to slow the "wash out" of the chum as well if you bag it...

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ALL WRONG!!

ADD PART OF THE WALL ! THATS WHERE YA WANT THEM TROPHYS RIGHT??

seriously though. fermented grain does work as a good chum.

19. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yes. There are many uses for spent grain from brewing! In Kansas on one of
    our local lakes there is a medium deep spot shaped like a gigantic bowl.
    During the summer a lot of the locals will ferment various grains in many
    wicked formulas and dump it in this spot. All of the eater sized cats flock
    to this spot in their tens of thousands and the locals cluster around the
    slowly moving feasting place catching their pick of hundreds of the cats.
    It would be like chumming a bunch of sharks into a frenzy then giggling
    about who or what to throw in next I imagine. There is a festival type
    air to the event which goes on sporadically throughout the warm months.
    Needless to say, they don't have to have feeding stations in this lake!

Another use is if you have a garden, start a compost heap with the spent
    grain, grass clippings, and vegetable food wastes like coffee grounds, peels
    and cores along with the egg shells from breakfast. Keep it moist and turn
    often and the smell goes away except for a wet hay odor. Soon, fertilizer!

20. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like it should work to me.