Would this method work for Flatheads.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by USE TO BE, May 22, 2008.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried circle hooks breifly last year, but I think I was using to small of a hook - 6/0 Gamma. I had a good run once and rod loaded up good. I lost the fish and when I reeled my gill back in, the hook point was stuck in the gill, so I quit using them.

My scenario: I have a pontoon I fish from in the local lake. I stay out on the boat and fish all night when I go, usually from 7pm to 7am. Sometimes I have trouble staying awake all night and I sack out if I get tired. I want to give the circles another shot, particularly while I am sleeping. I was going to try some 8/0 gammas. I thought I would leave my reel engaged with the clicker on and drag backed off my normal setting just a bit. That way if I get a run, the clicker will wake me and the line should still have enough tension to set the hook but not snap. Would this work?

Another question. I have some 9/0 king kahles coming in. Will these work the same way as the circles in the above situation? I've never used them before and from what I understand you can set the hook as well as fish them like circles. I just started fishing for Flats the last couple of months of last season and I didn't catch one. I'm devoting all of my time this year to Flats. I just need to get the first one under my belt. I guess I did catch a 35lb Flat about 8 years ago, but I wasn't tring to at the time, so I don't count that one. Sorry for the long wind and thanks.

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    the 9/0 kahles oughta work just fine. how big of gills are you using? from what i understand the kahles are made where the fish can set the hook on themselves or you can set the hook, wherehs on a circle they are made where you are supposed to let the fish set the hook on themselves or you risk yanking the hook out of their mouth. i could be wrong, but thats the way i understood it. the 6/0 circles i use work good for the 4-5'' gills so you could probally step up to a bigger bait with the 9/0 kahles you ordered. hope this helps a little bit and let us know how ya do with this kahles.

3. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I swear by the 8/0 gamma octopus it is not a full circle and also has a larger gap than traditional cirlces. I hook most of my bait through the lower lip and out through the head because I fish alot of current mostly, but if I fish slack water I hook them behind the dorsal, they say that they tend to eat the bait head first but if you are using gills they probably just suck them in and crush em. My fishing buddy Matt uses mostly kahles and does eqauilly as well on the hookset. Good luck on the Flatheads this year and remember bigger is better when it comes down to bait.

4. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I recently started using circle hooks and I use the clicker/drag setup you described all the time. It's worked out pretty well for me so far. Using that method, I've caught 9 cats and failed to hook 2 fish that I believe were probably small channels. The two that failed to hook were not too aggressive and only made short runs. For one of the two I missed, I'm pretty sure that I was too anxious and pulled the bait from the fish's mouth.

All fish were channel cats except one small flathead. All were on cut bait. I haven't caught any fish on my live bait rigs yet, but use the same method with the circle hook through the roof of the baits mouth. So far, I haven't had hooks stick into the bait. All hooks are 4/0 or 5/0 size. Not too much info, but the method you described seems to work for me. Only flaw I see is that you can't set the hook on light biters.

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i have been using 8/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks and havent had any problems hooking up fish:big_smile:

6. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 8/0 Gamma Octopus hooks too mainly. I'm just looking for something to use at night should I fall asleep.

7. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I have fallen asleep and woke up and most of my line was gone on my reel. The gamma octapus will definatley hook a fish if the rod is held firm enough but not always, I like them because of the large gap can hold a large bait. At a small bait store near where I live they had at one point extra wide gap gamagatsu circles they were pretty crazy if you can find them, the way I figure it if you think you may fall asleep the more hook exposed you have could'nt hurt.

8. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I use my clickers all the time that way and it works just fine unless your fishing alot of structure... you better be quick to the rod before he wraps you up..btw I use vmc 10 circle hooks and my bite catch ratio has went through the roof....hopes this helps...

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    With circle hooks, this will happen when hooking your bait to deep into the body. Using circles is trial and error, takes patience like learning to use a baitcasting reel for the first time. It took me an entire season to figure out how to make them work for me back in '03.

You will do ok with the 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circles, 9/0 King kahles or try using the Daiichi 7/0 circle chunk lights also.

Most of my flatheads have been caught on the 2nd run (strike). Some flatheads will drop the bait after killing it, then return to eat it.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    David,

You are correct about your clicker method. Like you said, keep the reel engaged ,drag pretty tight with the clicker on and you will be fine. Just experiment some..little tighter..little less.

Hook size..well my experience has taught me to match the hook to the bait size. Believe it or not I'm using 3/0 because I had a ton of them...I haven't lost a thing ; )

-Jim-

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Toss them circles

Lock the reels n use the drag n use VERY Strong rod holders

There is a way to bend down the rods and set a trigger so when the fish pulls it releases....If using HEAVY fiberglass rods one can set them up this way where when the fish pulls the rod will pull back...."FISH ON"!!

A large bell on the rod will wake you.

:eek:h:

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Let's put it all together now. The 8'0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle offset hook is the perfect sleepy man's hook. Hearkening back to the day we used to thread the worm so no gill could nibble the whole thing off, we all tend to hook our bait solid, real solid. With a circle, the gap is most important. If you hook your bait in the right way, as long as you aren't trying to win a long distance casting contest, you are fine. Through the lips and up through one nostril is fine as is through the dorsal area no more than 1/8-1/4 inch in depth.

Your drag should be set just loose enough that your line doesn't break. When a big fish hit's you will wake up. The pressure of the rod in the rod holder on my boat is normally loud enough to rouse me although I've almost thrown the sleeping bag in the water scrambling around trying to fing the screaming clicker lol!