Would this method work for Blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bluecatnut, Nov 16, 2005.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    brothers i was thinking about taking a whole skipjack about 1 lb in size and running a 8/0 circle hook thru the head then running 2 more stinger hooks 1 in the middle then 1 at the end of the tail what do y'all think of that

let me know

dusty
    courage doing the right thing when no one is looking

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It would work, although I would just probably use the 1 circle hook.

3. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    now im gonna say use the stingers because with a bait that big blues will carry it for a second and if you set the hook the actual hook wont be in its mouth. or at least let em run for a while before going crazy. now ive had great success with stingers especially below dams or in good current. alot of those fish strike short cause their moving fast and hard and they dont always get the bait all the way in.

4. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    As i said on one post before, i have a good friend in indiana who will not use bait under about a pound. His catches arent much bigger than mine so far, but He's hooked up with more monster fish than i have by far. He uses one hook in the mouth and out of the top skull just behind the nostrils. Also, He's had more success with these baits dead, than live. Ive used big redear(pound+) for bait in strip pits& caught flats and blues from 8-60lbs. Always on one hook. In the mouth and out the topskull(past the brain of course) or between the eyes(especially if im using a cork and suspendng it over structure)..Ive never much "had" to let the fish run forever, Usually if its a sizeable fish, He's got it. In fact Ive found that if u wait (presumeably on him to swallow the bait or whatever) He'll have crushed it, carried it, then dropped, or spit it. Just my opinion. Anyway, id definately try a pounder for bait.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, try it and you might not get many bites but if your patient your patience could pay you off with a monster fish. I would use the stinger hooks, but thats just my opinion.

good luck :)

6. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    that will work dude, it works for me alllllll the time. I stopped using the stinger hooks though. I just use a really big, wide 7/0 - 9/0 and just place the hook in the bait so that it is totally exposed. I give them a bit of line and start winding rather than setting the hook. I let the rod load and the rest is history. Good luck man, you have the right idea dude.

7. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    thanks all who replied but i wanna here what others thinh also.

another ? i was gonna use a circle hook for the main hook but should i use circle hooks for the rest or use just regular j hooks

dusty
    U.S.M.C ALUMNI

COURAGE DOING THE RIGHT THING WHEN ON ONE IS LOOKING

8. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Sounds like a winner too me. When I fish for big ones I use really big bait the only problem is smaller fish tearin it up and monster softshells but I eat them too so they are almost as good! I like the stinger I idea but I would definatly wait before winding down and I probably wouldn't set the hook hard or at all.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The thing to remember here is that big blues are real aggressive. There not going to sit there and dink with a bait like a channel there going to grab it and go. If he's big enough to eat bait that big chances are he's not going to short strike it. He's going to take the whole thing at once. At least that’s how all the blues hit that I have caught over 2 pounds did.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use kahle hooks most of the time. I will use circle hooks in heavy timber where a kahle would be likely to hang up on a snag.

11. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Attached Files:

12. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    leaky of course u could it is bascially the same idea i had how do i snell a hook anyway

dusty

13. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I was reading your post an got to looking,but i was wondering how bad line twist would come into effect.Your swivel should stop that ,wouldn't you think?
    Leakyboat

14. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Don't they use these types of rigs in saltwater alot?
    Leakyboat

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is how I tye mine. I also have a three way swivel at the main line. then a barrel swivel between the hooks and three way. It will not twist up like it does without the barrel swivel.
    I also use a half of a side of a skipjack on the 2 hooks. And also fish with 2 sets of these hooks. About 3 to 4 ft apart.
    Works great drift fishing like I do with the trolling motor to control the drift and speed.
    PEte

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have used who mackeral about a pound in size and hook the fish similar to what you did(trap hook style). It will work. But for the most part I noticed that the fish hits the bait from the head first. I have had many good hookups on using whole fish before. All trophy class blues. Most of which I lost to some structure though. LOL.

17. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    got to agree with crazy on this. i fish the red river in louisiana. strong current most of the time. i use a big hook with a wide gap. most of the big ones i've caught just engulfed the bait. i have never used whole fish though. i just use a big fillet off a skipjack.

18. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

i fish for kings and cobia and use whole live fish for bait often..my rig has a live bait hook followed by two trebles......for dead bait if you use a circle use a circle with no trebles or circle hook stingers.if you use a j hook in the head or nose use 4x gamakatsu trebles.(it has been my experience that ppl who use circles as the main hook and then trebles miss alot of fish because they set the hook).other trebles will be crushed.eagle claw makes 4x trebles but they begin to rust in 8 hours in saltwater and last a day or two in fresh.the gamis will last longer.

a trichk i learned for fishing for species that like a live bait but all you have is dead is:take the fish and slide the knife starting at the back into the flesh along the backbone just behind thye neck and the knife should exit the stomach area..
    slide the knife aling the back and down towards the tail.
    when you get to the tail stop cutting leaving the fillet attatched to the tail and head.
    repeat on the other side.
    then take scissors and cut the backbone just behind the head and at the tail
    this should leave a fish that is very flimsy and will flutter in the current.the fish will look like its struggling and hurt but its really dead.

this will work on both species that eat live bait and those that prefer dead

19. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

i forgot after you cut the back bone at both ends remove it.this will leave only the fillets attatched which are both connected to the tail and head.it makes the fish less stiff

20. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've heard of guys here in NC fishing with a big fillet of a gizzard shad like that (1-2 lb. gizzard and catching stripers and cats both on them). I've also heard of guys catching stripers on dead baits in heavy current where they're flopping a lot in the current. hey, it's gonna' smell like a shad just make it move around so they think it's alive still, good concept, especially in the summer when bait is hard to keep.