Would This Make good leader Line?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Spider, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I tried Cajun red line in 30# and didn't like it's characteristics. I have now re-spooled that reel with 65# Power Pro. I still have a lot of the 30# Cajun and am wondering if this would be good to use as my Carolina rig leader from the swivel to the hook? There's a pretty big poundage difference and wondering what people are actually using compared to their main line.
    I went with Hi-Vis Yellow line because I'd like to use this rig for night fishing. I plan on pairing it with 7/0 to 10/0 hooks in Octopus or Circle (have some of both).

Should my injuries heal up in time, I want to be READY to get out right away. I'm completely bored and it's only been 3 day since I got hurt.

2. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I wouldn't see why it shouldn't work. Good luck on the recovery!

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I use 65 lb Stren Super Braid on my main line which is as far as I can tell identical to Power Pro and 60 lb. Mono for my leaders. I prefer 60 lb Flurocarbon but it's just to pricey.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d go heavier,50 or 60 lb good abrasion resistant mono or fluro if you want to pay the price.My thinking is,if you get a little nick or anything in the 50,you,re gonna be down to 30lb anyway.I,d rather give myself a little insurance>:wink:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no id use the same test as your main, id use it for a drop if your using a thrre way rig,but no i wouldent,unless it was my only option in my box, think about it, that means your not geting 65 pound test, its 30, if your leaders 30 than your fishing with 30 regardless of your main line thats 65

6. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    i use a higher # leader than what my main line is. if i do a 3way i use a light line for my weight end of the 3way. "sacrificial 3way"

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    mono leaders thats a good idea, never thoght of a 50 pound mono ledear, it would be a pain to snell or tie

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Good tip! As for mono being a pain to tie, I don't have much trouble with it and I use 50# berk. big game. I do put a dab of super glue on the knots though, just for some extra insurance. :wink:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    my main line is 80# power pro and my leader is 40# berkley big cat mono, and i attach it with a uni-knot, this way if i get snagged and its not by my sinker my leader will break before the pricey braided line, i use a slidin sinker with a break away bread tie in case my sinker gets me hung up, but to answer your question, the 30# should be fine :wink:

10. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i use 30# big gmae from berkley and 50# big game from berkley for leader:cool2:

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    it will give you some strech in your line for a better circal hook setup, i gues, acording to some, ill lern myself, to many people swearing by to many metheds

12. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i use 50# spiderwire braid with a 80# spiderwire braid leader for the hook and 20# test mon for the sacrificial weight on a 3-way. I would think that wat you have would work and you shouldnt really have problems unless you hook into a HAWG. I've always been told to go to a gigher test for your leader. Never tried lower though so i dont know if there would be a difference. Good Luck:cool2:

13. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I spooled with 50lb Power Pro and came across some 80lb Fluorocarbon that I use for leader material.

I'd suggest using the heaviest mono or fluorocarbon that you can afford. The fluorocarbon does have a higher abrasion resistance but it comes at a higher price tag.

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    That's one thing that's cool about fishing. Seems there are as many ways people rig up as there are people. That makes things interesting and makes for nice options to try and see if they work for you. I suppose that the bottom line is that as long as you are confdent in your methods it's pretty much all that counts. Some ike things simple, some like experimenting. I'd like to place myself somewhere in the mddle of that range.

15. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i use 65# power pro with a 50# berkley big game mono leader... works pretty good for me.. as far as that 30# line goes... throw 100 yds on another reel, and you got yourself a good channel cat pole while your waiting on moby:wink: