Would this make a good catfish boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by wvmedic, Jun 5, 2009.

1. wvmedic

wvmedic New Member

State:
    WV
    Hello all, I have an Arima Sea Sprinter and will attach a picture.

I was wondering is this could be a good boat for cat fishing, and still use it for a multi species boat? I will be fishing medium to small rivers and lakes around home the medium rivers have locks and dams that we will be fishing the tail waters of. I might also use it to fish the costal water ways of the Carolinas while on vacations, I’m just trying to get some thoughts from some of you folks that have some experience.

I am currently running a 1973 50 HP Evinrude but have a 1984 Yamaha 90 HP in the building I’m tearing down for a rebuild, I would like to have a 14’ + flat bottom with casting decks. But I already have this boat and for fishing below the locks and dams in the swift water I’m not sure how a flat bottom would handle that type of water, I have fished small 12 footers and the wife and I didn’t feel very comfortable in those.

Thanks Jeff.

This is a boat like ours, I don't have a good picture of the rear deck at this time.

Attached Files:

• b6.jpg
      b6.jpg
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
  2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff from Peoria Illinois. Works for me.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Shoot, that boat will work for cattin'. a little rigging here and there, a couple modifications, and your good to go. I'm not sure there isn't a boat that can't be turned into a good cattin' boat, maybe an aircraft carrier might be a bit big, but if it gets you out there, shoot, then it's a catboat.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree that most any boat can be easily converted to a catsmackin' vessel. While I was between "real" boats, I fished a 12 foot jon with a 6 hp Evinrude for several years. That said, my only suggestion would be to get a vessel with as much room as you can afford. Ample space is a blessing, especially on all nighters and long day trips. Find something as WIDE as possible for stability. If you can't stand up and move around, and pee out of the boat without fear of turning over, it's too small! :wink::smile2: Nothin' worse than a cramped up boat, and the older you get, the more you appreciate LOTS of ROOM. Keep us posted on your progress. Sorry I digressed somewhat from your post of the boat in question.

Bill in SC

5. wvmedic

wvmedic New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks for the replies, any suggestions on rigging this boat?

It has a fish locker down the center of the boat and a built in cooler in the floor.

Here are two side shots, I will try to get a shot of the deck soon and some measurements.

Attached Files:

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    20 or 30 pole holders and your set:wink:

7. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    That's a perfect boat for cattin. Deep v-hull to handle ruff water and a bimini top to boot. Fab yourself up a good trolling/drifting bar up across the back, add about 6/8 driftmasters(1/2 inch), a cooler full of samwiches and drinks, a river full of fish and you'll be in heaven.:cool2:

8. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Oh yea, almost forgot. WELCOME TO THE BOC.:wink:

9. wvmedic

wvmedic New Member

State:
    WV
    Well if I can get my 50 hp Evinrude running right we will see, I have a bad coil or power pac and havn't had time to see witch one is bad yet. I bought a 90 hp Yamaha for it and found out it is going to need rebuilt, oh well I hope to have it back on the water in less than a week and get in some fishing.

Jeff.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff.

11. wvmedic

wvmedic New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks bluejay.

Jeff.

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the BOC Jeff gona be a nice kitty boat:wink:

13. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    That looks like that could be a good catfisher, just depends on howyou set it up, to your liking