Would this be my honey hole?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chris45601, Aug 29, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alrighty brothers, Fishing tonight was a little slow maybe a couple of bites I'm just not sure. But this local lake i fish the deepest part of the lake is 40ft, by the dam well maybe 300 yards from the dam this(which comes to this cove) cove thats maybe about 4 foot deep cove that cuts way back in, and seems pretty shallow through out the cut, great structure downed trees, stumps gravel bottom. Seems a lot of shad are swim around and what not. Question is Fish it? Seem like a great place to hold a nice flattie?

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I would definetly spend some time there! :cool2:

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, you should for sure spend some time there close to the deep water, especially at night. Post some pics of that big flattie when you get it..:wink:.
    Good Luck
    mike

4. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Chris tell me where it is and Ill tell you if its a good place.Just joking sounds like a good spot.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'd try out at the mouth of the cove, on the edge of the deep water. Maybe put one bait just off the drop deeper and one just up the edge shallower...

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    That sounds like a hot spot to me.

7. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    LoL brother there is only two lakes i fish in Ohio around chillicothe area lol. So you can take a good guess and hit the nail right on the head...Hell I'll be glad to share it with yeah. Um Deer Creek lake the picnic area off crown mill rd or what not, You go buy the dumpster there's two trails. take the on that runs off to the right if your looking at the dumpster all the way down the trail to the right and there it is. I mean I'm not Greedy hell. I like everyone to catch a couple of good cats in there life.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like a choice spot to me also. if your aloud to set trot lines i would do that and let them work while you tested the other areas of this cove. maybe limb lines if the trees allow it too. sets like that can make a reservior give up her secrets!

good luck with yer spot bro

9. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well brothers, I do believe I'm gonna hit that spot tonight and if any brothers around that area want to join there more then welcome the fish with me. I'm gonna head out about 4 pm. Catch some bait, I'm gonna try moving around a bit every 2 hours or so. First i think I'm gonna hit the mouth of the cove to see if i can catch an early fish then head back inside the cove later at night. What my plan is is to hit the deep hole first and progressively move my way back inside this cove, The waters are calm, almost no boat traffic due to the fact that it's too small to do anything besides fish, no limb lines where set anywhere, But what part worries me, This hot weather. This cove/hole gets plenty of fresh water but will the thermocline have any effect on this place?.

10. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    um gps location please need to see it to let you know:smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sounds like a good night spot, but with lots of downed trees and stuff, be sure to run your boat (assuming you are using a boat) through there a few times in daylight so you get a feel for things back there. But with shallow, gravel bottoms like that, I'm assuming the water has pretty good clarity, so use low light while fishing at night too. Good luck to ya.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris are you looking for a fishing buddy to share this Honey Hole with? I might be interested. Good Luck in your quest.:wink:

13. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Guys you wouldn't believe the night i had at this hole last night, From lights in the sky to drunk guys in boats running over our lines, No fish though but that's to due with these loud guys in the boat that went over the line fishing in like 5 ft of water yelling carrying on, They threw a pole out in the water if that tells you anything. Shining 1 million candle power lights everywhere, I mean these guys for a second where peta trying to mess up my efforts to fish. The lights in the sky where nuts, I think i was nuts for seeing them. So we won't go there but i didn't catch several channels and for some reason the blue gill and war mouth are monstrous. Hell even got a couple of yellow belly, But im gonna fish farther up the cover and try to get a monopoly on the spot tonight

14. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I would spend a night or two at the drop off point of the shallows. Since shad runs up the cove, the big boys will come looking for dinner.

15. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    If the sunfish are monstrous then there is indeed some large predators cruising the area.Its a perfect example of Survival of the fittest.

Now those predators may or may not be flatheads but I would continue to hit the hole a few times.

16. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    sorry...wrong thread:eek:oooh: