Would this be a good catfish boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Michael 9, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Michael 9

Michael 9 New Member

State:
    you need to put your state in here
    Name:
    Michael
    Hey everyone, new member here so I apologize if I didn't do something right. So I've had my eye on a 2001 deep v 125 Targa i7. Asking $7900 and it appears to be in excellent condition. I want something I can move around in easily and is really stable. Never been in a deep v boat so I wouldn't know. Trying to fish from a 16' bass tracker now and while it's possible, it's difficult. Any thoughts on the deep v? Thanks everyone

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the USCA Michael.

riverbud55 and MattTheFlatCatKid like this.

3. Michael 9

Michael 9 New Member

State:
    Name:
    Michael
    Thanks Catpaw!

MattTheFlatCatKid and Catpaw like this.
  4. Dale k

Dale k New Member

State:
    Name:
    Dale
    I just sold a 18 Targa good boat handles rough water well

Michael 9 and Catpaw like this.
  5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I just bought a lund deep V last year for catfishing. It is a great platform to fishout of. Lots of room, very stable and handles ruff water great. Only down fall for me so far, I knew it going in, is that the high sides the wind works on it more.

Michael 9 and Catpaw like this.
  6. crcanter

crcanter Active Member

State:
    WV
    Name:
    Craig
    Welcome to the USCA, Michael.

I fish from a Tracker ProCrappie 175 & I'd have to say that it only makes a "decent" catfishing platform.

My father-in-law has a 1970-something Starcraft 17' deep V that he has "rebuilt." He "opened up" the floor plan & converted it to a tiller-steer. The front deck is still a challenge to throw a castnet from, but it is MUCH more comfortable than my Tracker. I've fished from it on the Ohio River, Lake Marion in SC, and up to 5 miles out on the Atlantic in the Florida Keys. It wouldn't make a great tournament catboat, but it is a good fishing machine.

Michael 9 likes this.
  7. Lost-River-Jones

Lost-River-Jones Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Paul
    Welcome.

I guess it depends on where your fishing. Big river? Small creek? Medium River. Big Reservoir? I'm in a jon boat; but I fish a smallish river - so its good.

Michael 9 likes this.
  8. prlwng

prlwng Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    Have a long handled net for a deep v. If you are by yourself it is much easier then to boat the fish.

Bass type boat you just reach down to them.

Michael 9 likes this.
  9. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Deep v are great to catfish out of! Just a little tricky when anchoring in current, if you dont have them balanced well or don’t have your anchors clipped to the bow eye your boat will want to sway back and forth.

I fish out of a 17’ deep v and like it.

Michael 9 likes this.
  10. Michael 9

Michael 9 New Member

State:
    Name:
    Michael
    Really? I don't really fish many places with too much current. Lakes mostly, but I want room to walk around and not feel like I'm going to flip lol. You think that 2001 Targa would be a good investment at $7900?

11. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Targa 17sc books in at 4000 average retail, old 2 stroke motor? Add 1000 max.

No, 7900 for a tracker does not sound like a good deal unless it has $3000+ of accessories on it.

bearcat, Catpaw and Michael 9 like this.
  12. mark12

mark12 Member

State:
    you need to put your state in
    Name:
    mark lemist
    We use inboard deep v hulls exclusively. It's all fun until one day you get caught in inclement weather. 5 ft swells are no joke in a bass boat or flat bottom. Combine that with lightning and the need to get off the water in a hurry, and in my opinion there really is no other option.

crcanter and Michael 9 like this.
  13. beaglebasil

beaglebasil New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    put your name
    Deep V handle the waves great. The wind will catch them cause it sits up so high. Put on a good trolling motor up front with a remote though and it will track great.

Michael 9 likes this.
  14. fins3932

fins3932 New Member

State:
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Name:
    Dave R
    Welcome to the USCA Michael. If you put your location in your profile you might get some pretty good local advice also. I have a deep v 17 and here in Ohio that means I can comfortably fish up to 3' waves on Lake Erie. I like the versatility.

15. moriverfish

moriverfish Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Perfect economical and handy boat for catfish and other species. Had a similar boat and worked very well. Not a whole lot of extra room, but just fine for two people. Boat I had was a 1991 with a 1989 two stroke 110 hp. Set up with side imaging electronics, rod holders, and a 112 lb Terrova. Sold it for $4500. NADA is a starting point. $7900? Depends what the motor is and the rest of the setup.