Would the Wels Catfish Make it in America??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have been reading a little bit about the Wels Catfish, and was wondering if it would/could survive in America? I know it is kind of a touchy subject, tranfering species from one side of the world to another, to say the least. Is there another reason they are not in America's waters? What kind of habitat do they live in over there?

What an awesome fish that must be to catch! Looks like it would be quite a fight, since they are mostly ALL tail!! Not to mention HUGE! :eek:oooh:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    If it is meant to be, then it is meant to be. Let God do his thing.

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd say it's best to leave them where they are. If it's meant to happen it will, but I don't know what kind of impact a wels would have on the ecosystem in the rivers and lakes.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    They would do very well but at what cost.
    99.9% of our problems in nature come from us poking our nose in...W

5. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    i dont know,,, there might be a dwendeling of bait fish and all other fish,, looks like they need alot of food.... but if they were to come here,,,, i hope to hook into atleast 1 of them

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Or the Mekong cat!!
    I can imagine that these large fish would eat alot if not all our other game fish to survive!

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I agree with all your statements above wholeheartedly. However, if not for man transporting species either by accident or on purpose, for good or for bad, the world as we know it would be 100% different. In college we learned that about 75% of the species that we have on North America presently are not native to North America, they were brought here by traders, imigrants, accidently on ships, etc.....

I am not saying we do it, just wondering how they would fair, and saying it would be awesome to have catfish like that locally to fish for.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree with all of the above.Awesome but deadly to have a new predator that could and would prey on our children and smaller adults.There goes the old swimming hole forever.I think that they would be as welcome as the "Killer Bees" by most.peewee-williams

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    It sure would! Could you imagine wrestling one of those things into your boat? man-o-live' that would be a kodak moment!

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Pee Wee, are the really a danger of these monsters eating people? I did not realize they were that aggressive. I ask in all sincerity, becuase I really have no idea! WOW! :eek:oooh:

11. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    IF... we could alter their eatings habits to only feast on the "jumping carp" I'd say 'Bring em on'..... Put em in the IL river around Bath IL and their size would soon put their homeland relatives to shame. :lol: The folks up there would happly pay shipping for one...(a sterile male) :roll_eyes:

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL, there are a few folks up on the Kansas River that would take one too.

Maybe a Hybrid, that could not reproduce, that way we could control the population.

Yeah right......:crazy: If I have to worry about them eating children or small adults, they can keep them! LOL

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I dont think they eat people, i have never heard that they are aggresive in any way....Most of the pics of them after being caught, the fisherman are in the water with them...From everything i have ever read about them, they are the same as American Cats, only bigger

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If you check out the bait they use to catch them its mostly doughball. I think I read where they are not meat eaters, it would still scare the **** out of me :big_smile:

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm sure they could survive here and would be great to catch, but I don't want them here.

We already have enough problems with non native fish.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have no idea of their danger other than size.Many so called and listed plant eaters are not above and often take meat as a source of protein if the opportunity arises.The plant eating Carp that are bought to control vegetation in ponds are one such,and are occasionally caught while cat fishing with cut bait.Our 150-200 pound Catfish or huge Snappers could and would be a very real danger to small children in the right situation in my opinion.I personally know that large Blue cats will often kill prey and themselves trying to feed on fish too large for them to swallow.I have found large Striped Bass dead because of attempting the same.There was a body of a grown man pulled from the Santee in the 50's with scraped and raw marks up to the armpit on one arm.I think the common belief that I heard was that a large Cat fish had attempted to feed on his body.I saw and I thought the same at the time.peewee-williams

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would love to hook in to one of those babys

18. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Would they be able to survive the harsh winters? Here in Nebraska, about early January, all the lakes freeze up, and sometimes the Mizzoo does too.

19. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was told peacock bass are in Florida waters.