Would Snow White make a good pair of.......

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by postbeetle, Oct 24, 2009.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Would Snow White make a good pair of gloves?

Found out this afternoon that I have an albino deer in my timber. A small doe. I have been in this neck of the woods a long time. Seen thousands of deer, kilt my share. Don't do it anymore or when I do only kill does. Won't be killing this one. Some numbnuts will surely try and poach it. We (I) have trophy deer in this section and on my property and it is a killing grounds for poachers. Somebody poked one just last week, jacklighters on the gravel road.

This deer was not close enough for me to know if it was a true albino or a piebald. Will try to get some pictures for ya before she bites the bullet.

What I want to know is if any you folks have any experience with them. It is illegal to kill them here and I would like to keep her alive. If she survived predation as a fawn with the number of coyotes we have she may make it for awhile. The internet is rife with info., just wanted to know if any here had firsthand information they could share. If I get lucky with a picture I will download it here for you.

Thanks, John.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How neat that you've actually seen an albino deer. I asked my husband a few weeks ago if it was legal in our area to shoot one; he wrote to the wildlife & fisheries dept, & still hasn't gotten an answer.
    Keep us posted on how she does.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Postmortem, I hope you get a picture before something happens to it. I've seen some piebalds in this area but have never seen an albino in the wild.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I know a lot of people that wouldn't shoot an albino cause they say it's bad luck and most people that do shoot one are dead within a few months. I never thought much about it never had any proof until my dad shot one in New York state and he died a month later.
    I 'd never shoot one.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jay, that's cool, (not about your Dad dying, srry about that), but the nature of the story or legend or belief. Have not heard that before. As superstitious as I am, makes sense to me. Perhaps it is Indian in origin?

6. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I wouldn't shoot one. I think they are too rare. But I can't imagine her living very long in the wild. She would just stand out too much and something or someone would get her.
    We used to have an albino squirrel in my neighborhood. He was here for several years. I even have pictures of him sitting on my picnic table in back yard and me feeding him pecans. He went missing but another younger one showed up. I only saw him one year. That has been 15 years ago..

7. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We have had several in our county before and most of them lived a long life that i seen, i remeber one albino doe i seen her for 7 years in the same feild almost every night coming back from my hunting area. It was pretty neat cause just up the road a bit there was a albino buck and another albino doe that always ran together no matter what time of year it was, its like they were attached to each other. Good luck getting pics id love to see some.