Would Live Toads and Tree Frogs Catch Fish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by festus, Aug 7, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

In the past I have caught catfish and bass on live frogs I'd caught in creeks, green frogs, pickerel frogs, and small bullfrogs. My girlfriend has problems with tree frogs and toads around her swimming pool. I have been catching them, then taking them far back into the woods to remove them.

I have always heard toad skin contains some type of poison, some even a hallucinogenic drug. Has anyone ever used toads for bait with success? Also, tree frogs, I'm almost certain a fish would hit them, more likely than toads. Anyone's input will be greatly appreciated.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Probably but it might be a problem finding gear small enough to fit their little hands and they most likely have a very short attention span so it would be hard to get them to concentrate on watching the tip of the rod for a bite:smile2::smile2::smile2:.
    Someone had to say it so I thought it might as well be me:wink:
    ...W

3. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    i dont understan what hes sayin but tree frogs are good bait but i dont know about the toads and that toxic thing is only in a few species of toad but i hope this helps good luck

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Not sure about toads but bullfrogs will for sure catch fish . Dont know if they would catch cats but bass for sure eat them .

5. festus

festus New Member

Yes, I've used live frogs I caught out of creeks, ponds, ditches, and swamps, just wondering if fish will hit the dry land variety. :big_smile:

6. nobullheads

nobullheads New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    I would skip using the toads. I tried them many moons ago with no luck at all. Leopard frogs are awesome to use. I have no clue about tree frogs.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id sure givem a try.especially around structure like logs and down trees that kind of thing.,heck you might be surprised.let us know how it works out

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have used small toads for channels close to 50 years , they are one of the best baits in season. all the channels over 20# that I have caught were on toads.I fish them in running water under a float set no more than 4 ft deep .

9. sbirnel

sbirnel Member

State:
    TX
    I too have used toads with success catching some big channels, but only in areas where there are a lot of them near the water naturally. If you see a lot of toads hopping around at the waters edge where you are fishing, I would definitely give one a try! tree frogs I have no idea...let us know if you try one!

10. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    I've had great luck with treefrogs, mine too would gather round edge of the pool at night, easy to catch with flashlight!!

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Frogs would make an awesome bait for sure.

12. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i fish rivers more than lakes and have had great luck using sand toads for channel cat never caught a flathead using them but lots of channels the toads have a air pocket in the belly so i pop it using my hook than hook them threw the mouth and out the butt and tie the legs to the line so they dont fly off when u cast or get a bite if u dont pop the air bubble they will float hope this helps :big_smile::big_smile:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had an old fella tell me one time, back in the day the used to always use frogs for catfish. Had great sucess on them for channels and flatheads...rollo

14. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    :0a34::happy::happy::happy::004:that was funny

15. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I used one and got an amazing run while i was searching for a bigger one had my drag set low so they could take off with it came back and my reel was about 30 seconds from being spooled picked it up and started fighting him got almost all my line and the hook came lose of the fish and there he went never got a look i think it was a catfish because if it were a bass it prolly would have jumped

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  16. Dannoman

Dannoman New Member

State:
    MO, KC
    Years ago my brothers and I were fishing a small tributary that feeds into the Missouri River in Parkville. We weren't catching anything, so my brother caught a frog, hooked it through the lips and gave it a whirl. Small 2-3 ft Gar would lightly take the frog and start swimming away. My brother didn't want to catch the Gar, so he would slowly reel it in until it got close to the bank where the Gar would release the frog. That way, he could reuse the frog. It was a little excitement an otherwise slow night. It is always fun to see your float moving away.

17. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Frogs great bait in lakes fished below a bobber out in the deep water on a late summer night. 2 now pay close attention big river anglers and learn somthen from a old but yet young MO river rat. First good flood of the late spring, May for MO. The cats hit the flooded timber for frogs, mice, moles, ect.Tree frogs and lepored frogs are a top limb line bait in the flooded timber. Trib rivers and streams with good bottom land forest is tops. Ya can fish bobbers on the outside edge of the flooded trees and get monster cats on anything but frogs can produce very well on rr with a bobber or on limb lines set to where they can kick around.