would like to see what people think about surge and big catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by twincatfis, Sep 15, 2009.

1. twincatfis

twincatfis New Member

State:
    lincoln nebraska
    im thinking about buying a few new setups im going to fishing to missouri river thinking about getting a surge mh with a 7000i and a big cat with a penn 309 what are you guys thoughts

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have three Quantum Big Cat rods in M/H and they have served me well. I have 7000c3 on them.

3. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own the Surge in mh with a Penn 140 with 65lb PP I love this rod alot, and has served me well.

4. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    The Surge is the best rod I have tried. And have quite a few others! And they will land BIG CATS! But will also get the little ones to!

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I recently bought 2 surge elite trophy series and love them.

They handle throwing heavy lead and can horse a pig into the boat.

I have thrown up to 18 ounces of lead and caught a 61 lber on them.

6. mike78

mike78 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I own 3 surge rods and like them for fighting fish but i do use circle hooks and it seems that they are a little to stiff for good hook sets.

7. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    mike78 you must be useing the heavy action? The MH does great with circle hooks. My partner caught a 92 lb blue on a Surge using a circle hook. The MH is lite on the tip with lots of back bone.

8. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Sounds like your thinkin is right on the money. Maybe a personal variable difference but that is all subjective. I think you made a good call.

9. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    I own a few surge rods and I would never buy another one! I have been fishing the Mighty Mississippi River for a long time and the only rods I have ever broke on that river have all been a surge rod's. It seems that the eyelets on the spin cast surge rods don't hold up for nothing and the casting rods are notorious for breaking 8 inches from the tip. None of them were the elites. I think the elites are built a little nicer.