Would it be wise to use my surf rod for catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by alan_behr, Jan 22, 2006.

1. alan_behr

alan_behr New Member

State:
    Texas
    I want to know if i could use my big water sterdy stick for cats? Also whats size wieght should i use in a lake?:)

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think it would be a bad choice, with a long rod such as a surf rod you can really get the bait out there...I would use what ever size sinker you want, maybe 3-0z would be a good choice for long casting distances..

3. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea, man! use that rod!!! you can cast practically anywhere, and at long distances too!!! means you don't have to boat right up to where you want to throw. if on land, you can reach deeper water easily depending on where you are. use it by all means! don't use stainless steel hooks though, leave those for saltwater...stainless steels won't rust in the lake of course...

4. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey alot of the spots I fish I use my surf gear. I fish @ a dam so I use various sized weights form 3-8 oz's. your prefrence.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I use mine regularly from my boat. It allows me to cast a bait to a likely looking spot just beyond the range of my 8 footer with a 6500C3.

I usually have it rigged up Texas style using a VMC circle hook on an 18" leader. The leader is tied to one end of a large barrel swivel and the line is threaded thru the eye of a 3 to 5 oz bank casting sinker or an egg sinker before it's tied onto the empty end of the barrel swivel.

When anchored at the upper end of a hole on the river, the surf rod allows me to place a bait on the lower end of the hole where it makes a flat.

There are plenty of catfish in the Arkansas River that are able to strain the best surf rod to the breaking point.

6. alan_behr

alan_behr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks guys helped alot

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alan, I have a 15 footer with a Shakespeare Tidewater reel. I have never surf fished, but I do have a lot of fun cat fishing with it.:) I rig mine with a three way, keeps your bait up from the bottom very well, being so long. I use 30# Berkley big game and 3 > 8 % sinkers depending on the current. One problem river fishing from the bank is getting your fish to the surface quickly to avoid cover and snags, these rods do that very nicely.The only thing is if you get into a good bite that long of a rod will really wear you out, they get pretty heavy after a few good fish.lol :0a16:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Surf rods can be used to very good effect in catfishing, but be careful not to overstress the rod; use them within the design limits. Back about 1984 or 1985 I wanted to give snagging a try. Also, the guys with the really long rods were casting out half again as far as I was. Pretty much everyone in the area used a "river rod", custom rod made from a 14' Fenwick blank. The problem was money. At that time, the rods sold new for about $60, and with me not bringing in any money but my disability check, that was a lot. Then Wal Mart decided to jump on the band wagon and sell 14' surf rods as "river rods". Of course, they were considerably cheaper than the real thing. Yup, I bought one. Went directly to Dardanelle Dam and started snagging. The first fish I hit, the rod broke right in two. Took it back and exchanged it. Went right back to the dam and started snagging again. The first fish I hit, the rod broke right in two. Took it back and exchanged it. Went right back to the dam and started snagging again. The first fish I hit, the rod broke right in two. I took the rod back and told the manager I wanted my money back so I could go buy a real rod; furthermore, he shouldn't be selling those rods for use in catfishing the Arkansas River, because they just weren't strong enough.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Surf rods are used around here all the time for catfishing and sturgeon. One thing to consider though is safety and a shock leader is a must for several reasons!
    "The use of a shock leader is necessary when casting with the pendulum cast, a type of sidearm swing that's powered the casting record past 300 yards. Competition rules specify both running line (typically by diameter; twelve pound test is normal) and shock leader (ten pounds' test for each ounce of payload.) Casting competitions are standardized on 150 gr. sinkers, which are about 5? oz., and therefore require a 50 lb. shock leader. Use of a shock leader is mandatory when fishing with the pendulum cast, because the peak load comes with the sinker at right angles to the intended direction on release. A snapped line sends the sinker down the beach - very, very fast. One snapped-off sinker penetrated a wall of a 55 gallon drum, and I know of another that killed a car radiator. The pendulum cast is another subject, but if you're trying it, you must use a shock leader."
    And this from power pro;
    Do I need a Shock Leader when Surf Casting with 20 or 30 Lb PowerPro?

PowerPro would like to thank Gary Born, Distance Casting Champion and Surf Casting pro for this answer.

The rule of thumb when using any type line be it mono or braid and trying to cast from the surf is for every oz. of lead multiply by 10 for the shocker strength. In other words if you are going to use 5oz. you should use a 50# shocker.

The correct shocker length would be 5 wraps of shocker around the reel, plus the line up through the rod and down to the terminal tackle.

This set up will allow all the initial shock of the cast to be absorbed in the heavier line.

PS I'm sure you will be quite pleased with PP. The distances that you will see, and the sensitivity will make your fishing all the more enjoyable.

Long casts and tight lines,
    :)
    Gary L. Born

PSS. Hit 906' with 6/20 PP, 5oz. lead with

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:With flathunter,
    "I don't see why not" - "I would"! As far as your sinker - I would use the smallest weight for the job, Remember in a lake you don't have to deal with much current water. :)

:0a26:
    Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Hey Deltalover thanks for the informitave post I've heard people talking about the pendulum casts but the way you described it (penetrating a 55 gallon drum with a 5oz.er):0a5: I want to learn. Im gonna start looking for a how to.

12. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    For big river or lake and dam fishing,You cannot beat a surf rod.I usually use 40# test line.This works great for pulling free from snags.I prefer 3 oz minimum.I always use a fishfinder sinker rig.This is so you can use a heavier weight,and the fish won't feel it as readily as when tied on a swivei.This gives the fish more time to swallow bait,with no unatural feel!

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Alan, welcome to the BOC. What part of Texas are ya from ? I used to think I needed a surf rod while fishin' from the bank, but really have done well with a 7' rod. Seems the channel cats stay pretty close to the bank, where we fish, so no need to chunk out real far. I think ya will do fine using one if you already have one. A 3 oz. sinker should be all ya need. I'd like to have one for the times that the stripper are running in schools just out of reach of my bait caster.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I agree with most of the guys on here... Surf rods work very well for catfishing... I use mine (shorter end of the scale till i just got my new 15 fters at 9 and 10 ft long) they work well and never had an issue with them breaking on a fish or anything like that.

The 20lb line class record Blue (121.5 lbs, "splash") was caught with a surf rod and Cody (the angler) had very little problem bringing her in at all.

Now i wouldn't try using one as a snagging rod so much (as jtrew tried to those few times) but almost any other use seems to be perfectly fine.

I know guys on the potomac who when fishing from shore use the 15 fters (i just got one and have another on the way, haven't gotten down there yet with them) and catch fish all the time on them... never seen any bigger then like 3 or 4 lbs come out but hey im sure those guys would know how to handle them if they hooked one...

15. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Yes use it. I use mine a the lake all the time and its makes my fishing partner mad because of the distance I can reack. I pull my saltwater line out and put 15# in for greater distance. Think of it this way, the further you get it out the longer the fight to bring it back in. Good luck:)

Matt