Would having a anchor cleat in the center of the bow be helpful?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Big Dav, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I am trying to finish up on my boat and was laying out the main front deck tonight. I mounted the trolling motor off to one side and will be installing a remote spotlight in the very center of the front deck, just in front of the navigation light. I was thinking of adding a cleat in the front center of the deck. Would this be helpful or a waste of time/effort? My thoughts are it would be useful in heavy current and possibly make the boat hold straighter in current. :confused2: For those of you that fish rivers or in current a lot do you think it would be useful or do you just tie to a side cleat?
    I will be installing cleats on the front sides but was curious about opinions on a center cleat.:eek:oooh:
    Thanks in advance.:big_smile:
    David

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    David, I think that a cleat in the center would help hold the boat straighter. When I am tied off I tie the rope to one side and throw a drift bucket out the other side to help keep me straight.

3. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    David,

I mounted a center cleat on my new Grizzly 2072 last year. It is useful in most cases when anchoring in current. It is also useful when I am launching alone and in pulling the boat when alone. Another helpful item is a transom step/handle that is sold by Wal-Mart and West Marine. It looks like a handle but supports about 300 lbs. I have 1 on each side of my boat, inside. They are toward the rear. I use them for just about everything. Tieing a minnow bucket it to it. As a cleat, as a rod holder, throwing a drift bucket out the back, etc., etc.. No sharp edges to grab your fishing line. About $5.49 at West Marine. (See Picture) Also useful when securing something while trailering.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would say that a cleat is the front center is extremely helpful. If you are fishing current on a regular basis it is a necessity.

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I fish the Mo. River. I use to tie the anchor to the front corner of the boat . after putting a cleat in the middle I don't have near as much side swing when anchoring in current. I would highly recommend a cleat in the center.

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks for that tip:wink:

7. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    If U mount a cleat in the center of the bow make sure it is big enough like a six or eight inch one and be careful when boarding in from the bow.

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Mount a gripper right in the center. Easy to hook and unhook your anchor rope.

9. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    The cleat in the center is a great idea. I have wished for one many times, as I have usually leaned over and tied the anchor rope to the bow eye underneath. I'm gonna get a cleat and do it. Good Idea!

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dave,
    Maybe instead of or as well as a cleat you could look at these :

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp?page=1227

The gray, blue or yellow ones in the middle of the page are the ones I used.
    The tighter pull the tighter they grip but one tug on the slack side pulls the rope free. They are great when you are fishing alone and need to release the anchor in a hurry. Not real cheap but I thought well worth the money...W

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't know what they call it but there is a thing with a base and two half circle sides with a gap in the top to put your rope in that would be less obtrusive than a full cleat. I usually use 2 lighter anchors one on each side off the front and a dropper off the rear or drift bucket but may try the center deal with a heavier anchor this year.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

:0a27: That's another idea instead of putting another cleat on. They're called chocks:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product...3;cidocking;cicleats-hardware;cicleats-chocks

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I always seem to be the one to cast gloom on a project. Wish I wasn't. But as I've set here and read the posts, if I am reading right, you said the spotlight was in front of the navigation lights. And now you want to add a cleat. If that's right, those navigation lights will be useless. Think they have to be visible on a 240 degree arc. No obstructions allowed. If I am wrong, my apologies... if I am right, I'd advise you the rethink the location of the paraphilas.

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for looking out for me on that. :big_smile: The nav light I am using is pretty tall and the spot light is rather short. I have about six inches of height on the nav light post above the spot light. That is to the bottom of the nav light from the top of the spot light. The attached photos may give a better idea of what I am looking at doing. The only two things I have mounted to the front deck at this point is the trolling motor and the nav light base. :big_smile:

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I may look at one of the other items rather than a standard cleat.
    Winston, Which one exactly did you use? Small, medium, large, blue, yellow, gray?
    Shawn and Matt I really like that option. I am not wanting to spend a lot of time on the very front of the bow, bent over trying to untie an anchor rope. The clock may be the very ticket for me. I am going to look hard at the item Winston suggested before I decide.:big_smile:
    Thanks again for the info and help guys.:0a31:

Attached Files:

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dave,
    I used the medium but it depends on the size (diameter) of your anchor rope. If you look at the bottom of each list it gives the range it will work on. The medium goes from 1/8" to 1/2" I think.
    Chocks are not the thing to use, they serve a different purpose.

A cleat is good for tying up tight for the night but out on the river if you need to get out of somewhere in a hurry you have to choose between cutting the rope, (in which case you lose it and the anchor unless you use floating rope), or fiddling with the cleat.
    Having a quick release gives you another option.
    If you have a float on the very end of your anchor rope you should be able to come back later and retrieve it.

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like your going to have you a nice looking boat

17. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Those are nice Winston, but it appears the anchor rope would still be under tension on the back side. With the gripper, there is no tension on the back side, and you can remove your anchor rope effortlessly.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Having a cleat or some type of anchor point at the center of the bow will certainly make your boat sit straighter in the current, IF that's what you really want. Remember, when the boat is straight in the current, the people in the middle and front of the boat are having to have their lines right over the person in the back. The further 'off center' you have your anchor point, the more the boat is going to sit crossways in the current, thus allowing everyone on the downstream side of the boat to fish with much less danger of tangling up lines. Of course, anchoring this way in extreme current is more dangerous than anchoring at the mid point of the bow, so if you plan to do that, you may want the cleat there anyway. But anchoring in any fashion in extremely fast current is very dangerous no matter how you do it. The current makes it impossible to simply pull the anchor in unless you have the anchor rope on some kind of winch, so you have to run the motor to get enough slack on the anchor rope to let someone in the front of the boat pull it in; and it's all too easy to run over that slack anchor rope, tangling it around your prop, killing the motor, and having the boat anchored by the stern, which will cause water to flow over the stern, fill the boat, and roll it over. I saw that happen below Dardanelle Dam back in 1983. Personally, I'm too chicken to anchor in water swifter than 3 or 4 mph.

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the bow eye to tye off to also. but, I have a high side deep v-bottom. It's really hard to reach the bow eye without risking falling in. so, I came up with a tie off lead. it has a hook on one end with a locking clasp so it dont fall off the bow eye, a short length of rope and a big ring on the other. attached to the ring is is my anchor line, and another piece of rope a little longer than the tie off. I attach the lead to the eyelet, throw my anchor out and tie it to the ring. the other piece of rope attached to the ring is cleated to the boat. it's for pulling the lead up to get to the ring to untie it..

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always use a center clete ,keeps the boat stright !