would a circle hook work..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oklahoma caveman, Apr 27, 2008.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    on a trotline/limbline? judging by the way they work it would seem to me that they would be a better choice for these applications than the standard j hook. any opinions?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never tried them on limb lines, but I know some who have made the switch and they are very happy with the results. I would experiment and set a 50/50 mix to see what gets the best hook set percentage.

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I changed all my limblines hooks from ''J'' hooks to circle hooks about 4 years ago. It was a very good move for me!! I use Gamakatsu 8/0 & Daiichi Circle Chunk "Lite" in 7/0.

I don't fish trout line that much but I did changed them out also for circle hooks. They work good also.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i went to commercial fishing in texas all the guys i knew and fished with used circle hooks so i changed all my trot lines to circles.i dont set them any more but the hooks are still on them and there still circles.

5. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In my limited experience, yes. Circles work great on trotlines.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    CIRCLE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO UNTIL SOMETHING COMES ALONG BETTER:smile2:

7. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Circle hooks are the best hook for limb lines and trotlines. I switched about 5 years ago and here are the results according to my fishing log. This is the overall results I have recorded for the last 5 years. I fished 2 lines with circle hooks and 2 lines with J style hooks. I fished all four lines in the same area with the same bait. I caught 23% more fish on circle hooks. I had only one catfish hooked deep with circle hooks and would have died had it been released. I had 11 fish hooked deep with the J hooks that died or would have died had they been released. The line with the circle hooks did not get hung up near as bad as the J hook lines. Circle hooks must be needle sharp to work properly. I touch up mine every time I put them out. They require a little more time to bait due to their design. They are not as prone to accidently hooking you when putting out as J hooks. They are bigger and stronger hooks generally, but catfish don't care. This is why I use them. Catfishjon

8. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have used circle hooks alot on trotlines. They work real well for me.

9. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    arite thanx guys. that was kinda my thoughts on the subject, just wanted to see what more experienced minds than mine thought

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent ever heard of anyone using them on a trotline but I say you could use them and they should work for you I agree there a better affective hook, when you try this out let us know how it works for you.

11. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I use circle hooks on my limb line and on my poles. Greatest hook ever created.:cool2: