Worth the price of admission.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by postbeetle, Jun 19, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Having fished for more years than I can count, I finally caught my first flathead yesterday. A dink compared to what I see posted here. It was a little over 4 lbs. I have been trained to observe creatures and their anatomies. Even at 4 lbs this fella had a huge mouth. Because he had swallowed the hook into his gullet I had to go in a long ways to dislodge the hook. It was easy to get where I had to go. These creatures are killing machines. They appear to be built to inhale, then crush their prey. Channels seem to be built to grab and crush their meals before it gets into their gullet. Ergo the use of live bait seems to be the way to go. I have learned that here since joining a couple months ago. Probably why I haven't caught any before-they were there but I wasn't going after them properly. So the 45 dollars I paid to join, (paid that to Splitshot to help him pay for his new camera-he called it a finders fee.) has been well worth it. Thanks for the help folks. Thank you Spitshot. Excuse me Splitshot.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    uh oooh, its started.. Say goodbye to your wife/family/house/etc... It only gets worse after you feel the pure freight train power of a +10lbs flathead.. You'll be obsessed to the point of needing counseling.....

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have to agree with Subnet on this one. Once you get hooked on Flatties there is no going back. As soon as you hook one in the 15 to 20# range, you are as good as gone. There will not be anything else that you want to fish for (at least not for me) and when you do catch something other than a flatty, you will feel jipped out of a fight.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A skilled observer like yourself can tell a lot about a critter.

I disagree slightly on the crushing part, though. I'm not so sure the flatheads crush their prey at all - or maybe just the big stuff.

The long skinny fish I got a bit over a week ago picked up the bait and moved in on me so he didn't immediately hook himself (as most do), so I ended up hooking him in the throat/beginning of the stomach. The sunfish was still on the hook, so I reached in (most of the way to my elbow) and pulled the redbreast off the hook to get him out of the way so I could get the hook out of the cat. When I dropped the bait on the deck, he started flopping around, so I released him, and he swam off.

5. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I have to agree with Sgt Fishslayer, the only other things I want to fish for are Flathead bait.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Catching your first Flathead is like making your first million; the rest come a little easier! ...W

7. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST FLATTY,NOW THAT YOUR HOOKED THEY ONLY GET BIGGER AND BIGGER!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR HUNT FOR THAT MONSTER!!

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on ur first Flathead!

9. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    congrats on your first flathead how did you like it

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Yer off yer meds again ancha John?? I do however want to congratulate you on your first flattie.:big_smile:

11. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    there's no going back now!!!

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Congrats and like everyone says, Flathead Fever is now upon you know. It all goes downhill now!

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats on the 1st Flatty!:006::003::cool2:

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats bro!!! Hopefully I will be in your company ,when I land my 1st flatty. :still_dreaming: My day will come...

15. RegulatorX

RegulatorX New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good job on the first flattie. Mine was several years ago when I was a teenager. I haven't caught one since but man am I looking forward to it.

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    45 Dollars!! You Got by Cheep cause Splitshot,Charged Me $100.00 Said he was trying to raise Money for His Favoite non profit Organization(Smoke a Bowl for Jesus) I think that's He Called it. LOL. J.D.

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    JD: Since I've become crippled up and and old I've had to take up new hobbies. I tried knitting but kept sticking the needles in my eyeballs. I saw a Maurry Povich show where they had a segment on scrap booking. I have been saving memorable quotes from this site. You have become archived on page 232. Now I have to photo shop your picture and add some teeth so when I turn to that page it isn't a harsh read. Spitshoot probably split your bribe with Olefin. They kinda look like brothers. Thanks for the addition to my scrap book-gotta take my nap now. John

18. flathead jack

flathead jack New Member

State:
    ohio

Live bait and patience and structure...your day will come my son:tounge_out:

19. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    congrats on your first flattie and hopefully you learned alittle about them so now you can get the big boys.