Worth the Price Difference

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by DJH1, Feb 6, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been looking at two rods, 6'6" mh shakespeare sturdy stik and the 7' mh ugly stik tiger. The tiger costs about $35 dollars more than the shakespeare and I've heard a lot good things about both rods. Should I go ahead and spend the extra money on tiger rods or stick with the sturdy stiks. Pretty much wanna stay with one of these two rods b/c I want a mh that's rated for up to 8oz of lure weight.

I'd love to have a catfish safari lake rod, but they're $30 higher than the tiger so I guess it'll have to wait.:sad2: Wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't buying four poles in one whack, just trying to get stocked up for the upcoming season.

Thanks

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I have 8 of the Sturdy Sticks. I love em. That's what I would spend my money on.

3. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dan,

I'd really like to get the sturdy stiks just cause they're so much cheaper. How much sinker weight have you used with em? Fished a lot of current? Caught some big fish? Being in Henderson, I'm assuming your probably fishing the same type of waters I am in New Madrid, MO, so it'd be a good comparison. Thanks for the comment by the way.

4. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've got 2 of the Sturdy Stik boat rods. I use them on the piers at the coast too. 120lb sharks no problem. Stripers,Cats even had the line spool loose in the boat and had one snatched out of the boat on the road (80lb Braided line didnt give!!)..LOL!!! Busted my Shimano but didnt even skin up the rod butt!!

5. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, catfish connection has had the m/h sturdy stiks for awhile now. I go on there today to order some and they're not on there:angry: They have the heavy action and medium action. Both are still rated up to 8oz, but I'm sure the medium would probably be a little too light. I'm leery about the heavy action because they call it the "snaggin" rod which makes me think it'll be way too stiff.

Anybody know somewhere else on the internet to get mh sturdy stiks???

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would try to hold off and save the money for catfish safari rods. They are well worth your money. Atleast the shipping is gonna cost the same on 4 as 1.i don't personally think you will find a better quality rod for the money.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think these rods well make a decent boat/stand up rod. As far as a bank rod not sure its way to stiff. That is just my two cent though. Wal-Mart sells these rods by the way save on shipping. I think it was $18 bucks if i remember correctly.

8. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, for some reason, catfish connection has the m/h sturdy stiks on their website today, so I ordered four of them and four Penn 209 reels. Thanks for the heads up on wal mart, I've checked the closest one several times and all they have that are even close are the berkley big game rods. These will be used from a boat 100% of the time, so no worries there.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    STURDY STIX ARE GOOD , I PREFER THE 220GTO ALOT OVER THE 209

10. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah the 220 has a higher line capacity and a better gear ratio, but the 209s fit my budget a lot better and I figured they'd probably last the rest of my lifetime if taken care of.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Good luck with the equipment Djh1.

12. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have heard only good things about the tigers dont use them myself though.

13. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah I may have to end up going with the tigers. I ordered the sturdy stiks and then got an email from catfish connection saying they were not in stock. Which doesn't bother me, I can wait a while. But then they said they have to check with shakespeare and its possible shakespeare might not have them in stock. If not, I'm gonna have to go with something else.

On that note, anybody tried Okuma Blue Diamond rods? They're rated for up to 6 ounces and are 6" longer than the sturdy stik.

14. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Joey, I have both the Penn 209's and the gto 220's and "prefer" the 209's! I like that there not as HEAVY! They also cast ALOT better too me! The ONLY drawback with the 209's I have found is the speed of the retrieve. Just my 2-cents worth! Sorry!:wink:

15. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    the gander store here in va. sells sturdy sticks

i really like the tigers, imo they are a little more stout and have more backbone.

vaughn

16. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well for the final twist in this story....Got an email today from catfish connection and said the rods would be shipped first thing in the morning, so I guess I will be going with sturdy stiks after all.

Billy, I agree that on paper the only drawback to the 209 is the speed of retreive. But I think I'm gonna like 'em. I hope so, I ordered four of em....:embarassed: