worth fixin???

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 22, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok the other chain saw thread made me go to the shed after i remembered this. this is a homelite. the one i seen with a bow blade. has a 20" bar. made in U.S.A. recoil is broke. but it sat for 20 years. me and a buddie had it running within 30 min of me discovering at paps house. then recoil gave in.

do ya all think its worth investing $100 in to get it fixed. IF it takes that much. my buddie can take it to work and fix it. or maybe i can talk him into getting a lil side $ for himself.

heres the saw. all metal. ide bet its better than the new McCulloch and poulen i have.

it sounded like a weedeater without a muffler but it didnt take but a bit of fresh fuel and a carb cleaning and it started and ran.

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    A new recoil shouldn't cost too aweful much. You said you already had it running...that's a plus. Maybe a new plug, chain, and can of paint. All that should be less that $100.00.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i started the paint job already before the recoil pooped out. but birds put a lil white out on that blue paint.:angry:

maybe i should have washed it before the pic,lol. its in better shape thaan the pics shows,lol.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I'd say spend the money versus buying a new one that will be a throw away unless, u get a stihl, but they are pricey..I think if u plan on cutting alot of wood to use that awesome log splitter u built u should probably buy the baddest saw that the bugdet money will allow so it will last forever...jmo

also, it will pay for itself if u charge ppl to cut downed trees in bad weather and clear them out for them....

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I myself would fix it, then you know what you got. a friend of mine down the road bought a new saw from wal-mart back in October all he usees it for is to cut up drop from the local saw mill for burnning size lumber and it is already messing up on him. nothing is made as strong as it use to be. everyone is looking to make things as cheep as posable so they can pocket more proffit and in turn you get a through away pice of junk. FIX YOURS lol

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok this is it. the first pics didnt do it justice covered in poo,lol. this aint ditry jobs.

heres some cleaner pics.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check the condition of the clutch and sprocket.This is what did me in on my old Homelite Zip when I could no longer get it anywhere.I would hate to see you spend a lot of money and then could not get something you need in a month that is a routine maintenance item.My saw was running and cutting great right up till clutch time.Now,we did not have E-Bay back then.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks for reply. my buddie that gave me the hot tub in the general area is the small engine mechanic. he can check on those parst in advance. i asked on the recoil. he said maybe may need to find one that could work. ya no need for a saw if a $20 part cant be found. $300 of a fabricated part dont add up to a 20 year old saw when a stihl is $350-$400.

ill ask some Q's before i fix it. make sure i can get at least a junker for parts cheap or aftermarket parts are still made. hell know more than me and can find out at work.

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    looks like an early model xl-12.very good saw.:big_smile::cool2:

10. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Them ther saws I think will run forever. I had one bout like it a wile back an it got stol out my pickup.we cutr alota hedge with them.

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got an old homelite super 2 trim saw , used it for a while before the clutch went out. It was hell takin up in a tree it would burn your leg and vapor lock alot. Still a good saw though.