Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Worth a chance?

672 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  riverbud55 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Well it being a four stroke I think it would worth it. Like any motor 2stroke or four stroke your going to want to service it, plug lower unit and so on. Look for any types of cracks in the lower unit either from being dropped or from freezing. Pull the engine cover off and inspect the head inside the cylinder by pulling the plug, just to see if there is any damage to the top of the piston. I'm sure somebody can think of some more things to look for, but this should get you started.

Chris

#3 ·
sounds like a good deal to me, would rather have a engine that's been sitting 4 yrs than one that's been ran hard and put away wet for 4yrs, a four stroke won't be as bad as a 2stroke as far as sitting, take the plug out before ya turn it over and put some marvel mystery oil down the cylinder then pull the rope a few times w/out the plug in it, then put a new plug in it, change the oil, maybe put some(what ever the can says) marvel mystery oil in the first tank of gas, this will help lube up the top end and carb, then change the lower unit oil and the water pump impeller

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.