Worst trip of the year on the Ohio!

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by rivertoon, Aug 24, 2008.

1. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I tried the Ohio in the Brandenburg area again Sat. with very little luck. I tried drifting just the same way that I did last week with good luck, but this week it only produced one bite with no hookups. I also tried droppin the anchor and had one bite and did catch this fish.(Small channel) I did see alot of baitfish at sunset. Is anyone else having this same luck? I am praying for some rain soon to help with the fishing as well as the yard and food plots. This is the least productive trip of the year.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry to hear about your trip, I believe it will be getting better real soon. Good luck on future outings and keep us posted

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah i went out today near petersburg on the ohio and fished all morning and all afternoon and caught little flathead and one little blue, i tried anchoring and drifting as well. just no action whatsoever

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    still better than being at work

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I fished out of Petersburg as well today with absolutely zero success. I havent been skunked on the river in a long time, so I guess I had it comin. I sure hope things pickup soon cause this really sucks. Oh by the ay the shad are plentiful, 2 casts and a full baitwell and they are all averaging around 5-6", at least something's workin out.

Bill

6. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    The last two trips out of Westport have been a bust for me too!!
    We need some rain=current.

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I haven't caught a fish in four weeks. Weather is hot and dry. Alot of bait fish means slow fishing.

8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    im havin a blast on the ohio river! catchin some 20 plus fish per trip on a average and some wieghing up to 50 lbs. if your not fishin for blues rite now your missin out!

the fishing is changing from day to day ill catch them in 50 ft one day and find them in 30 ft the next!
    im fishing with shad or skipjack there both producing rite now!

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the info and the encouragement. I will be on the Big Ohio next week and this post was making me kind of nervous

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Don't wanna know specifics BUT Northern KY Louisville ,Cannelton, Smithland Pool ?

11. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    fish are bitin everywhere guys! i fished a tourny in henderson ky 2 weeks ago , won it plus had big fish of 46lbs, ive fished in the eveings in my home waters in the louisville , brandenburg area! with plenty of active fish, plus some fish in the 30's! and i fished a tourny up lawranceburg ind, tanners creek , this past week end and also won this tourny also plus big fish again of 36lbs. both tournys has takein over 100 lbs to win! each trip, ive boated over 20 plus fish! for the last month and a 1/2! and its only gettin better and the big fish are even active!

remember! you cant catchem on the couch!:smile2:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Seems longer than that! Hopefully they'll start biting good again soon!:confused2::smile2:

13. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Caught 2 today on the Ohio, things are starting to pick up hopefully.