Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to hit a new spot tonight. Its a little wider part of the river I fish about 1 mile from my normal spot. Where the channel opens to the river and the lake..... there is a small channel to the lake (where I catch good fish), the mouth of the river, the shipping channel to the big lake (my normal fishing spot)and a nice big pile of downed tree's in the middle and lots of shallow and deep spots to choose from......

So I knew there was gunna be a bit of a breeze later because there is a storm system coming in, so I hit wally world and picked up some 3.5oz sinkers (normally use 2oz), some circle hooks and some dog food (for the bait trap). Now I think I'm good to go for the night of cattin......

Get to the spot and start pulling all my stuff out of the car. Get the cooler out, tackle box, lantern, net, chair and go to grab the poles. One gets caught on the bolt that holds the arm to raise the trunk... crap! So I figit with it and snap. 60lbs braided power pro breaks. Oh well got to re rig.... I have bigger sinkers so no big deal. Get down to my spot and go to grab my pole holders and damnit one is missing! So I find a stick and rock to use. Rig the broken line with the new sinker, stick it in the dip bait and throw it out. Same with the second pole. All is good. Decided to set up the minnow trap for some creek chubs, so I could have some real bait and opps, I left it in the car. Run up the bank and open the car and realize I left it at home....... now I'm getting frustrated. So I figure what the hell I'll use dip bait all night. It was ok because I usually just use charlies blood bait and out fish the guys with cut bait (in the channel part of the river.... just down iver from here) so I go back down to my poles. Its dark at this point so I go to fire up the lantern, and just my luck, its out of propane, but hey, I got another tank. Back up to the car grab a tank and fire it up.

By this point I am pretty frustrated, 30 min on the water and still have not sat down to have a beer, let alone catch a damn fish. Which is a rarity; this time of year, weather and time, it is normally 4-5 fish an hour and double headers.... (Mostly 4-6lbs but its fun... but not tonight)

FINALLY I get to sit down crack a beer and watch my poles.
I look at my lines and they are about 180 degrees from where I casted them! WTF!!!!

River is kinda high due to the rain... so I pull them up re-bait and get ready to throw. BAM! The storm front hits. (if ya live in MI, they you know how the weather can change in 5 min.) I get a gust of wind that just about puts me on my ass. And its blowing down river!!!! So I say screw it and I'm gonna keep fishin. Cast after cast, I would throw it WAY up stream and the weight would start to settle bouncing down stream..... slowly bouncing, little by little. I would have about 2-3 min before my bait was pretty much back on the shore about 80-90yards down river of my cast. A constant battle of wind and current.

Now I'm pissed, this is getting to be a shi**y night and it's gunna rain for the next 4-5 days. I decide to rebait once more and try throwing it way up stream vertical to the wind and current in a shallower area, hoping the sinker drifts into a snag and will hold at about a 90deg angle to the wind and current. Chuck the first pole..... not my ideal spot but considering the wind and current, I'm happy! Go to real up the next pole and SOB I got a snag..... on 60lbs braided..... 2min later I lose the whole setup. (next time I will make a lighter test sinker leader) That was it, I took that pole back up to the car along with most all my gear..... I was pretty much done.

So, all that's left at the river bank is my pole, the lantern, my beer and the net. Start to walk down and holy hell!!!!! My pole is bent to the point of breaking!!!! Now……… I only have about 20feet to run.... maybe. I ran like a bat out of hell..... all that was going through my head is "I'm not getting skunked!!! WOOOOO!!!! RUN!!!" ………………… Crap, gopher hole. I hit the dirt about a foot from my pole, any farther and I would have been eating a chunk of concrete for a midnight snack….. ER visit for sure. On my belly, in the process of getting up I grab the pole, still bouncing and set the hook (not using a circle hook on this pole damnit) and I got her!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! The fight begins…… So I’m good and into the fight and it feels like a ok fish, around the 8-10lbs mark..... I'm happy! Shi**y night ending with a good fish..... Maybee this an’t such a bad night!!!
Snap. Its gone. I just about threw my pole in the water.

Packed up and headed home..... (this all happened in about 1.5hrs, leaving home, wally world, and the fishing…..) Now I’m here telling my sob story. My god was that a frustrating night.....

My only regret is that there was not someone to video me yelling, running, eating dirt and grabbing my pole all at the same time…… It would have been a great video.

Sorry for the wall of text.... it was this or a hole in the wall :) Good luck everyone, have better nights then me!!!!!!!

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Next time gotta be better or at least hope so got all your gear back no broken teeth and a ful propane canister for the next trip ...Sorry bout the mishaps tho ...If you had a vid camera that would of been at least a 10,000 dollar winner on America's Funniest Video ..

· Registered
1,772 Posts
Glad to hear things went YOUR WAY this time. And a video camera is a good thing to have these days! Myself and a couple buddies could have had a million hits on youtube and probably would have been movie stars by now LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.