Worst fishing injury?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Jnorman, May 31, 2007.

1. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What's the worst fishing injury you've had? As for my, I'd say the worst was having a hook go in the front of my finger and come out the back through my nail.

2. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    ooouch! That hurts just hear.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    laceration from braided line being pulled around my finger by a big flathead. after my rod locked up, i tried to pull him in by the line. bad idea! he pulled back, i bled for a while, and he got away. lesson learned.

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    This isn't the worst but I have a similar story from when I was 13 and fishing for carp @ LOZ. We were told not to fish FROM a particular marina whose carp size was legendary, so my cousin (unclebill85) and I were determined to find a loophole. We did. He stayed on the bank with the bail open while I carried the baited hook to the marina dock and dropped it into the water. :lol: A massive fish sucked in the bait and I (being ever so helpful) decided I'd set the hook on it. Stupid move. The instant I pulled the line tight, the 30lb mono surged downward and I distinctly remember smelling burning flesh as the wound was essentially cauterized by the friction. The good thing was we got the fish.

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was fishing for small (eating sized) channels in the Potomac with my Grandfather. The action was hat and we were reeling them in as fast as we could. Well in all the excitement while I was unhooking a 2 pound fish it slipped out of my hand and landed on the top of my foot--barb first. Unfortunately, I was wearing sandals and the puppy stuck right in. My foot bleed like a stuck pig in that boat. We being the ever prepared fishermen had no first aid supplies. Not wanting to spoil the action I just dangled my foot over the side to wash it off and continued on fishing. By the end of the evening my foot had swelled to the size of a football. I could not even wear the sandal. Fortunately it was better in a day or two...the price we pay for our sport I suppose.

6. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I've been lucky so far; I've only had the odd line cut on the finger. The worst I've witnessed is someone getting a new earring due to an errant cast.

-- Rich

7. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Unfortunately, mine occurred while I was loading some bank poles into the boat (about 30 at one time because they were tangled up) and I dropped a few of them and a 7/0 hook went completely through my thumb and out the other side. I had to go to the hospital to have the barb cut off the hook so it could be pulled back through.

8. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    A buddy of mine that I work with went fishing last week and got his line caught on a snag, and as he was fighting to free the line it let loose and the weight hit him square in the nose. After getting the bleeding to stop, he went to the hospital and ended up with a fractured nose and black eye.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

I was fishing with a freind of mine at Mark Twain lake a couple years back for crappie. The action was great, we were having a ball, and then I hooked a channel cat. I brought him in and was trying to remove the hook when he suddenly removed it himself and flopped right of my hand. My buddy, who just happened to be standing next to me wearing flip flops, got jabbed right next to his big toe! He went down like a sack of spuds clinching his foot. I glanced down at his foot and had seen that this channel and my friends foot had just become one!! I immediately grabbed the fish and tried to pull it away however to my amazement, the fish didn't move!! The barb had penetrated into the top of his foot and was stuck! To make matters worse, that damn fish kept floppin' around the entire time it was stuck in his foot. I then grabbed a pair of pliers and was able to cut the barb off the fish leaving the remaining inside his foot. Needless to say that was the end of our trip. We pulled the boat out of the water and headed to Washington MO where he had to have the barb cut out of his foot. The barb had penetrated about an inch into his foot!!! That is on my list as one of the whackiest things I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing!

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    aside form the line cuts here and there, i had a 2/0 treble hook from a bass lure stuck in the side on my finger. and to make it better it went all the way down to the barb on both the points from the hook that was stuck. now i kno what it feels like for sumthin to go through muscle, tissue, skin, all the way to the bone. didnt go to the emergancy room or anything, i was with a girl so i just yanked it out with some pliers. bled for awhile but i was ok:roll_eyes:

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Whewee! I didn't know fishing could be so dangerous!

I've had two things happen to me fishing - first was when I was a kid I went to cast and snagged my ear really good. My bro had to pull the hook through. I was bleeding everywhere.

Another time, again as a kid, I got back home from fishing and felt an itching in my privates. Upon further inspection, a tick had decided to latch on to my man goods. I tried to get him off but couldn't, so it turned into a family affair. I remember my whole family all huddled around me talking of ways to get him off! Tweezers were gonna be the last resort. My dad whipped out a match book and wanted to burn him off, my crying put an end to that idea quick. They tried rubbing alcohol, which didn't work. Finally the tweezers, which only separated his body from his head. So a second tweezer operation was required to finish the job.
    :beat_plaster:

DWB - did you soak your foot in the Potomac or rinse it with water after getting barbed? The waters we fish are full of parasites, and dipping an open wound into those waters is just asking for trouble. Might be why your foot swelled up to the size of a football. At least you got to catch fish to keep your mind off the pain!:lol:

12. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    My buddy was attempting to set the world record for casting 3/4 oz. spinner baits and set the hook into the back af my arm just above the elbow. Had to cut my shirt sleeve off to remove the hook. The hook point was hopelessly embedded in my arm and we had to tie some fishing line (several pieces together) around the hook and yank it out.

Another night top water bass fishing my lure snagged in the bushes and I gave the line some agressive snatches to free the bait. Next thing I know I have a bang-o-lure hanging on my face. Two of the three trebles had hooked me. One in the eye brow and the other in the tip of my nose...lol...it was my last night trip for anything other than cats.

13. Trent_V

Trent_V New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great Thread by the way.

I have two injuries that come to mind when thinking about fishing injuries. The first occured when I was in about 8th grade. We were at the Missouri rive near Jefferson City and my friend had nothing but a lead sinker on his line. He was screwing around acting like he was fly fishing throwing the line back and forth over his head. I was about twenty feet behind him. Needless to say, the lead sinker had a direct hit to my eyeball. My eye filled with blood and turned black in about three minutes. I was crying thinking I would be blind all the way back to the emergency room. All they did was put some drops in my eye which cleared all of the blood out and informed me that I just had a little scratch on my eyeball. Whew :tounge_out:.

The second situation was during some early mornin catfishing at woodward lake (neighborhood lake in Jefferson City). My friend had a snag on a log and gave the line a good tug. I heard a wizzing sound and looked down to see his huge treble hook through my jeans into my knee joint. Another emergency room visit and three hours later (they didnt have a big enough wire cutter for the hook) I was fine. But I still love some fishing!!!

-Trent

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Last summer I was on a wing dyke getting my anchor unhooked and slipped on the rocks. I smashed my toe which hurt like the dickens and I proceeded to climb into the boat and scream several words that I wont mention because shane(turtle) will come after me. I then proeceeded to head up the river all the while complaining about my throbbing toe to my fishing partner. I felt a tickle on the top of my foot and looked down to see a large pool of blood forming at my feet. Further inspection revealed a six inch gash on my shin. We got a light out to see how deep it was. My partner held the light and I pulled on the sides of the cut to reveal a nice beautifully white tibia bone showing the full length of the cut. We cut the trip short so I could go get stitched up and get a tetanus shot. I ended up with too many stitches to count. I cant understand it for the life of me, but the cut did not hurt at all. For ten minutes I griped about the toe and had that huge cut on my shin and didnt even know it. So now for the absolute best part of the story.

The Physicians Assistant that stitched me up was an Absolute HOTTIE. Wow. I mean smoking hot. Even my wife said she was hot. LMAO. I was thinking I had hit the JackPot BIG TIME. I had to whip out that pilot stuff on her and flirt, you all know the drill. She had me hypnotized. I was flirting with every tool in the kit. I had my best game going. :smile2: Of course my wife sat there laughing at me, and I later found out why. Oh, did I say she was HOT yet. wow. I can still see her. anyway,

Heres my wifes side of the story. You were sitting there on that table totally flirting with that woman. I give it to you, she was very beautifull and had a body to make all women jealous. The reason I was laughing so hard, is you STUNK so bad, I could smell you out in the hall way. Yep, in all my manly glory, I had forgotten I had been on the river in the heat ALL day and had shad guts, asian carp guts, blood, catfish slime and the works from one end of me to the other. I dont know which body part had which blood. I'm sure the mix from my shin, the shad, the carp, and the catfish, was hitting her poor gag reflex. I can only imagine what was going through that Sexy PA's mind as she sewed me up. Not until I got home and showered, did i realize how bad I really did stink when I smelled my dirty clothes. That woman wouldnt have given me the time of day if I was Bill Gates. LMAO. Thats my major injury/funny story and strangely enough its all true.

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Great stories! I had one similar to this. A few years ago I had a nice 8# blue that I carried to my car on a stringer. I opened the trunk and as I flung the fish into my truck into a cooler, he flopped and came down on the inside of my forearm. Sure enough, his dorsal fin stuck and I could NOT get it out! I gave it a strong tug and my skin stretched so far I must have looked like the elastic man. I was by myself, so I was literally stuck. A couple of minutes later, another fisherman pulled up beside me and I had to ask him to help. Luckily we got the fin out (I had to take my fillet knife and make a tiny incision into my own skin on each side of the fin). I then went to the local DG and dumped an entire bottle of peroxide on the wound. :crazy:

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yup, probably not the smartest thing. I just hung my foot over the side of the boat and washed it in the river. You are probably correct about the parasites my friend.

17. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri

Ouch!! Makes a man want to wear steel toes but to this day it is sandals for me...I guess I'll never learn.

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been fishing since i was old enough to walk. and, i never had a hook penetrate through my skin.. til last year. not only once, but twice in one day!! first i was in our campsite relining all my poles. and setting up my rigs. i was tying on the last hook. an 8/0 circle while pulling the line tight sinching the knot it slipped out of my hand, grabbed my first finger and sank in DEEP! it didnt pass through, but it was buried to the bend of the hook. i could see it from the opposite side of my finger. we went fishing the rest of the night and about 10:00 a.m. the next morning i caught a 6-7 pound channel cat on a large chub, it had a 3/0 wide gap with a treble trailer in the tail. i was holding the fish trying to get the wide gap hook free from his jaw when he flipped free from my grip. the treble grabbed a finger on my other hand. the circle scared me, but it was'nt as hard to get out as the little treble. i was pulling so hard it almost made me sick at my stomach. my hands were so swollen driving home i wanted to call a cab!!

19. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    was fishing one night and a couple of guys started snagging just down from me. needless to say i wound up with a 5/0 stuck in the middle of my back. i had my nephew go ahead and push it back up thru the skin and cut the barb with a pair of wire cutters so we could stay out fishing. and yes said snagger wound up playing "bob" as he floated down river.

20. mwallace61

mwallace61 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Alabama
    While it didn't happen to me, the one I'll never forget is one that happened to my dad. I was probably around 10 or so and we lived in Cocoa Beach Florida. Pop caught a pretty good sized sail cat and when he tried to grab it to get the hook out, his timing was off. He got the dorsal fin all the way through the meaty part of his hand between the thumb and index finger. I had to take a pair of wire cutters and cut the fin off from the cats back so he could pull it on through. To this day, every time I take one off the line, I have this image in my head.