Worst DIY project ever

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Switchback XT, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Whats ya'lls worst do-it-yourself project? I think mine would be the time i tried to mold and fiberglass a new duck boat....it eventually came out ok, but besides the boat being finished I had also managed to make a complete fiberglass mold of myself and ruined several t shirts. A few weeks work turned into months of labor.

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i think the roof on our house .......the front was just fine but the back
    leaked everytime a hard rain came and i couldnt figure out where it was comeing from.
    i would put a little tar here and a little tar there until i started applieing tar to all the rain tabs on each shingle from one side and worked my way over and down in a series of weeks and eventually i tarred the whole dang thing over like a trailer roof and it still leaked i had allready sealed the edges whith silicon, tar ,you name it i think i tried it.
    i finally threw the towel in and hired a company , they said thier was a little wood on the edge of the roof that was rotten and i was at work so i didnt see exactly where but it was a section we had shingled over 2 years earlier...........no leaks now but i got gray hair while it did leak.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    you tried to mold a fiberglass boat? id like to hear how to do that!

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Any project I work on is the worst, since I stink at home improvements :big_smile:

5. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Tomcat, its not very hard you just need lots of wax, an original boat to mold, lots of fiberglass, a belt sander, and lots and lots and lots and lots of elbow grease. The whole step by step project is too much for me, but I'm sure you could find it on the internet.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I tried to replace the shower in the first house I bought. After 12 days of showering at friends and families houses I finally subed out the job. I might be able to do it now but I don't think I would want to.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tomcat, there are boat plans available from a kayak to a 26 foot offshore boat that are simple builds if you can build bird boxes.
    The stitch and glue plans are really simple, the cuts dont need to be perfect, there isn't any bevel cuts and most plans dont even require scarfing.
    If you can run a skilsaw, own a sander or two and a cordless drill you can build a boat. I've seen too many complete idiots I wouldn't turn lose with a 3/8 ratchet wrench on a spark plug in a crushed junk car turn out some really nice first time boats. Better quality then what you'll find on a lot.
    EEEEASY build. You wont find anything as strong unless you go to a steel hull.
    See? even Australians can DIY. This guy girlied it up in the end but he started out with the right idea and that is an awesome hull design. Very capable of running offshore in decent weather. She'll take some rough seas, just not hammer down.

http://www.jgfitzpatrick.com/photos-all.htm