Worse Off Than Before

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by H2O Mellon, Nov 19, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay, I just cleaned my 2nd Abu reel. This one was a 7000b. It may be me, but I think I hear a little gridning or something when I reel it now. I think both reels were better before. Maybe I'm wrong. I oiled what needed to be oiled, put them back together, etc...

So has this happened to anyone else? I think I am going to completely tear down an Abu 5000 & work on it. Sort of use it as a test reel, since I doubt I'll really be using it much. I want to get good @ working on them & stuff like this. I figure it may be something to learn this winter.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Buddy, you cant even change the oil in your car, you need to stay away from those reels :D ...Your spool may not be centered maybe???..Mess with the spool adjustment knobs on both sides of the reel, it may go away..My new 7000bg started making a slight grinding noise, till I losened both of those knobs then it quit...Make sure you put oil in those bushings on the end of the spool.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I took the plate off, put it back on & it seems fine.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am glad your mentor could clear that up for you, Mellon!!! LOL!!!

That is what a good fishing buddy is for, right. Glad you got it fixed.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I forgot about that!!!! The sidekick must be a professional at reel cleaning, that way he can clean all the mentors reels :D

I Am gonna take one of my old 6500's apart this winter and work on it, if all goes fine I may try another one.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm still a little scared to do this. The 1st time, I tightened the side plates screw too much & broke 2 of them, it was on am older reel.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mellon. go to www.fishingreelrepair.com for schematics on thousands of reels. sometimes lis flathunter saidmthe spool will be a bit binded or even the spool gear doesn't get lined up good. glad ya got it working. i learned how to clean and lube reels last season. from chattin with cornhusker and looking over the schematics. already broke down the 6000 i got from ya. :D

the penn should arrive soon.