Worms!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfish_jordan, Aug 10, 2006.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    how do you get worms out of the ground? fellow brothers please give me some help.
    :big_smile:

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wait for a rain, or soak your yard. I hear laundry deturgent is good to use too. Not sure about that though.

I wana to try it one time but my mom said the stuff is too expensive and she would just by them for me.

Josh

3. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    white for rain then look under stuff

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    water the ground right before dark a sprinkler works fine. drive a wooden stake into the ground in the middle of your watering spot about 18 inches or so.then take another piece of wood or metal bar and rub it across the top of the stake you drove.they say the vibrations of the stake goes through the ground and the worms think a mole is close so they surface to the top dont know if that is true but it works. hope this helps

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

if you have any leaves piled up in a corner of the yard are a compost pile in your yard move the stuff and look under there are make a pile of leaves and keep the ground moist if there are worms they will be there shortly after.

6. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    never tried it but have heard plenty of times you can use a 12volt battery :roll_eyes:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Wait, till it rain and dig them up.

8. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    this batt thing how does that work lol

9. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Find a farmer or livestock owner who has manure piles if you can dig through them for worms. The Red Worms you can get out of these will out-fish nightcrawlers any day!

10. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here's how you get them up. If you've got an area where you know worms are in the ground you can soak it with a sprinkler. If you are going to freestyle it and get them from the woods or whatever just wait until you get a good amount of rain.

Go to a local garden supply store and get yourself a pint of lime sulphur. It's used to kill insects on dormant trees. Mix about 4 tablespoons in a gallon of water (you'll need to mix up a bunch of gallon jugs if you're going to be away from a water source.

A day or two after a good rain the worms make mounds of dirt that look like small bb's. I guess it's worm poop, I don't know. Anyways every time you see a good sized mound with good sized droppings (the bigger the poop the bigger the worm) pour about 6 oz. of the lime sulfur mix on it. Go along and pour it on a bunch of them and try to remember where you've poured it. Give it about 10 minutes and walk back along where you poured it. The worms will be laying on top of the ground or enough of them will be out of the ground you can grab them and pull them out.

This works best if you can do it on bare soil so you can see the mounds and the worms when they come out.
    We use this method here in Louisiana to get those huge foot long worms. Put the worms in a bucket of dirt and they'll live as long as you take care of them. I've been doing this since my dad taught me how about 30 years ago.

The thing about putting a stick in the ground and rubbing it with another stick works but it takes awhile to get a bunch. The reason they shoot to the surface is they think it's a hard rain.

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just water down your yard real good and as soon as it gets dark.. but it has to be very dark.. get you a dim flashlight or find something to make it dim and just walk around and pick them up off the ground.... they are easy to spot if the grass is cut..... its pretty simple. i do this all the time for my worms and sometimes i get in a grove and i get enough for me and enough for my brother-in-law and his buddies..... The dew at night brings them out and the mate like rabbits..lol.. trust me its easy and fast... just walk around light footed..... hope this helps ya

12. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I water the ground, like everybody has said. But when I go looking for them I use my headlight and turn on the Red LED light. They don't seem to mind the Red light nearly as much as they do the white light.

13. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    hey jim..i have never seen a foot long worm....they really get that big? wow....have to show me one when you get some!

14. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    hey jim..i have never seen a foot long worm....they really get that big? wow....have to show me one when you get some!

15. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Dig In Some Compost Or Horse Sh!t

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I get mine after a hard rain:smile2:

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    You can take an extension cord, cut the female end off, take two nailstie one nail to the black wire, and one to the white wire, stisk the nails in the ground about 2 feet apart, then plug the male end in a socket. It works.

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Gordon ,if it's as dry in NeB .as it is here you might be in trouble with the watering the lawn. Might take a lot of water and expenseive unless you get your water for free. We don't so it's cheaper in the long time to just go to Wal-Mart and buy them. After a goodsoaking rain go and pick them up in the drain gutters along the streets. that what I used to do up in Quincy ,Il. years ago. Or you could make you a worm shocker. Can't believe no one said anything about that. I'll look at mine and see how it's put together and let you know. Haven't used mine in years. But they do work,but again the ground has to be damp or wet.
    Good Luck On Your WORM HUNT!!

19. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    In NE Oklahoma, up around the Miami area, there are worms about that big, or there used to be any way.
    Me and my brother-in-law (at the time) were going fishing one day and he told me he wanted to stop by his uncles house to pick up a few worms.
    They kept them in an old wash tub, and he reached in there and grabbed a hand full and pulled them out and I thought they were small snakes at first?
    When it rained, you could go to the city park along the river and they would be crawling on the ground.

I haven't been that way to look for any in ten years or so, but I bet you can still find them.

Ken

20. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    One way I used to do it was with an old piece of carpet.
    Lay the carpet down on the ground in a shady spot and keep it watered.
    Any time I needed worms, I just lift the carpet and I was ready to go.

Ken