WORMS ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Manny, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I have been hearing about the Missouri nightcrawlers here latley and decided to find out the difference. I went to Judys Bait Shop and she said she was bought out and only had the Canadian ones. So I bought a dozen and caught nothing, besides a drum.

This morning after the rain stopped. I went to the river and dug up about 2.5 dozen of the Missouri nightcrawlers. What I did notice is they were a lot more active and really plump. (By the way digging them up is no fun at all) Now wether or not the cats know the difference I will soon find out.

I am starting to believe there will be a difference. I here to much of how people use them for Flatheads, and do well. I am use to using gills.

Now last night I was fishing on the Meramec and had a gill and a wad of worms ( Canadian ) on seperate poles but casted them in the same area. About an hour later the gill pole went down with a 5 pound flatty. Not saying he passed up the Canadian nightcrawlers for the gill but nothing but a drum was caught on the crawlers.

What are you thoughts??

2. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    Any fish will eat worms, baiting with gills is targeting s preditor type of fish

3. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    manny, i think there is a diff. another way to get them worms, this sounds funny but works, put several sticks down in the mud or silt foot or two deep go around with another stick and hit the ones you stuck in the ground. it really works!!! i heard that from a friend of mines uncle so we tried it and dam if it dident work. they just started comn up left and right. we was fishn in moniteau creek in the mouth were its meets the missouri and them worms was the only thing we could catch fish on that part. night. neway yep i believe there is a diff.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I caught a flathead last sunday, on a nightcrawler, my first time ever with one.

5. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I usually have one line out with nightcrawlers on it, nomatter what im fishing with on my other rigs. Usually catch a few channels but ive never got a flathead on them.

6. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I have caught cats on night crawlers rite after a hard rain. On just a normal day i've caught small chanels and some bull heads. I have thought about useing an 8/0 hook and just packing a dozen of night crawlers on it to see want happens.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I find worms work better in the spring during high water and lotsa rain. I fish feeder creeks, flooded lawns ect. I use a 1/0 to 2/0 treble hook with a ball of 4 to 8 river worms.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i to do best after a hard rain and a flooded river.fish large wad of nite crawlers in the eddys just off the swift water.biggest flat 37 lbs.by the way they were native nite crawlers i only use canadian crawlers for gills and waleyes.

9. festus

festus New Member

The only time I buy redworms or Canadian nightcrawlers is when I'm in a big hurry and didn't have time to get them in the woods. I too like to have at least one pole out there with a gob of worms on it. Sometimes I'll string 5 or 6 big home dug 'crawlers on the hook. I like catching a variety of species of fish, and have drug in some big bass, even stripers while fishing nightcrawlers, along with saugers, walleyes, and assorted catfish.