Worms, zits or pimples

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by JimF, Mar 30, 2006.

1. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I caught 3 channels today. Two were covered in some kind of pimples, almost looked like blisters, not much bigger than the end of a ball piont pen. I was told they were worms. Are they? They came out of a farm pond. If they are worms, can they ( the worms ) be killed? Is there something that can be put in the water to kill them. If not worms, what is wrong with the fish.:confused:

2. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

State:
    Henderson,KY
    I don't know dude, but that sounds really gross. It's almost scary. If you find anything out let me know. But until you find something out I wouldn't go near that pond again, if you know what I mean.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    One thing is for sure, it is some type of parasite, that you can bet on. I sure wouldn eat them.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Never seen em on catfish but have caught bass in farm ponds with them. I was told they were worms and were more abundant in ponds where the water is shallow and warmer than most others.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jim,

Your best bet is to take a fish with these "parasites" on them to your local DNR. By doing so you do 2 things. #1, make them aware of the issue. could be something they need to be on the look out for. #2 find out for SURE what is wrong with the fish, and if the parasites can be killed or what.

6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Its probably madcat disease or fin and mouth disease, lol.:eek:

7. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    this is jsut a guess but look it up and see A channel catfish with small
    bumps and inflammation on
    its tailfin, which indicate
    the presence of Bolbophorus
    flatworms beneath the skin.

8. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Jim, did it look like they were sprinkled with salt? If so, I'd say it might be Ichthyophthirius commonly known as "Ich". I thought it primarily affected aquarium and tank fish, but after some reading, it get's into ponds also. Catfish farmers use copper sulfate to get rid of it, but I wouldn't recommend that because it reduces the oxygen in the water and unless you have aerators you can put in the pond, (which catfish farmers do) it's possible it will kill the catfish. Potassium permaganate is a safer method, but costs more. If you think this might be it, do a search on google for "Ichthyophthirius, potassium permaganate" and see what you come up with. You can also do a whole pond fish kill and leave it empty for a week then re-stock. The Ichthyophthirius cannot survive without a fish host. That's kind of a harsh cure, and prolly a last ditch effort. Good luck.
    Rat

9. SPowell

SPowell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've caught fish with this issue before. My father and grandfather were familiar with seeing this as well. I was told that I was just a worm, and that it really wasn't harmful. If you are to clean the fish, you would just need to cut the area out from around it. The fish that I have caught with it have only had one or two spots, and they were usually near a fin. They were all out of a natural family owned and stocked lake. I don't think it's anything to be worried about.

10. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    when i read this thread subject...i thought..."Someone must be having a serious skin problem!" HAHA! :)

11. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Its not ich. I've seen it on fish in tanks at wallmart

12. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    These fish had so many if I laid a 25cent piece on the fish it would touch at least two of these pimples. These fish are completely covered.

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Jim, your best bet is to take one of the fish to your local DNR for a biopsy. Next option would be to take a picture of them and send that to your local DNR.

Last year there were all kinds of pictures on the BOC of catfish with parasites. Each one of them different. Nobody can take a guess from your description and know 100% for sure that they know what that fish has. Play the safe, high road, find out for sure. It could be something dangerous that the family that owns the lake needs to know about.

14. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im with TDawg, I would take it to the DNR or take pictures of them at least and see exactly what it is. It doesnt sound too good but is something that should be checked out.

15. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    O.K. I will, Next time I'm out there and catch one. I will probably have to freeze it. Because I mostly fish at night there

Thats to all, with the help
    Jim F