Worms In Fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KingCatBrad, Jun 18, 2007.

1. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok I Have Been Seeing Allot Of Yellow Worms In My Fish, Out Of My Local Ponds And Lakes. Sometimes I See Them In The Fins Of The Fish And Other Times I Don’t Find Them Till I Fillet Them. Does Any One Know What They Are And If They Are Harmful Or How To Get Rid Of Them??????????

ANY HELP Is Greatly Appreciated!!!!!!

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It has always been my understanding that fish with these things that you describe are worms.Any fish that I have personally dressed out with this problem has been thrown away. As to whether they will hurt you,as in making a person sick,well I choose not to take the chance.Hope this helps,and thank you for asking.:big_smile:

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    all i know is you can pinch them out like a zit.lol i dont know what they are called brother. never made us sick,but do some research and ask your local DNR guys.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    yrs back, i caught some small cats with some on camp pendleton. took to game wardens and they sent in for tests. was in fleshy area back by tail. reports came back if cooked, would not hurt humans. as for ones found in fish guts, i scrape out, and fry the meat. i do know that halibut i gut fast as possible or worms will crawl through meat to leave the host fish after it dies. i just don't eat raw fish anymore nowadays.
    gary

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know what kind of worms they are but we just take the point of our fillet knife and flip them out.I know we dont get them all but been doing it all my life and im 65 so i dont believe they will hurt you.

6. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Thank You All For Replying. Around Here I Have Found Them Every Once In A Great While, But Now I Am Finding Them In Almost Every Fish I Pull Out Of A Pond. Bass, Crappie, Blue Gill, Catfish And So On. Guess I Just Need To Take Them To My Game Warden To Find Out What They Are And How They Will Affect My Fish. Plus How I Can Get Rid Of Them. But Again Thank You All.

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I think what you are talking about are Parasites. I will tell you what happened to me a couple of years ago. I was fishing with Chicken liver,and when I would bring in my line to check my bait it would be covered with small what looked to me like worms. I would change my bait and with in just a few minutes it would be covered again with little worms less then a 1-4" in long, and the fish would not bite. they would not touch that liver with the worms on it. Now, where I fish is the California aqueduct witch is the primary water supply for Los angeles. Now, let me say this, I have always thought their must be something in their water supply that causes all the nut cases LA. But on to the story, I called the Calif state Biologist for the California aqueduct. she has an office in Bakersfield, and told her the story about these pesky little worms, and she agreed to meat me at my fishing site the next morning. This is what she told me when she seen the worms. She said that they were parasites, and that they may be hear to day and be gone tomorrow. but they would not hurt you. She did say that this is what I get payed for and that anytime we have a question on the safety and are quality of water supply are the fish in it, don't hesitate to call. Hope this helped.

8. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    I asked a friend of mine a wildlife ranger about these worms. He said it might be this.
    Small string-like worms visible on fish, or burrowed in skin.
    Anchor Worm
    I don't know if it will help.

9. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Thanks again for the posts but the worms that I am finding are about .300 of an inch and under in length and about .100 of an inch in diameter. They look like a VERY TINY yellowish grub. With out killing the fish you can only see them in there fins and you can squeeze above them and work them out of the fin. I will try to go fishing today and take some close up pics of them in the fin and then squeeze one out and get a close up of to post on here to make sure that we are all talking about the same thing. But Thank You All For Replying Again And Trying To Help Me Out. That Is One Thing About This Site That Has Made Me Stay On Here Since The Very First Time I Joined Back In Aug Of 2005. I Don’t Like Forums Because They Are Full Of People That Just Like To Start B.S. With Other People But This Is Not A Forum! This Is A Family For Life!

10. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Brandon, You described the size of the worm much better then I did ,but I am sure we are talking about the same thing. She told me that people can have these Parasites in side of us also. What a scary thought. But if you are still not sure Call your State Biologist.and they would be more then happy to answer any questions you may have.

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive found them in several of the bass in a pond i fish in. I either just flick them out with the fillet knife or just leave them, theyl fry up :tounge_out: they wont hurt you.

12. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are quite correct,I have read and seen photo's of Parasites that are suppose to be in Human beings,I will not go into detail as it is quite unpleasent.I would not like seeing parasites attacking my fishbait sounds disgusting to me,having lived in California years ago the AquaDuct is where I fished also. Guess I was lucky I didn't have that problem. Yes you are also quite correct about this site. We are all family and are always deeply concerned one for another.There are occassional spats I kinda liken it to two tom cats squaring off but it doesn't last and I think the rare spats that do happen only help to make us love each other even more.You will notice I used the word LOVE it's because that is the feeling that I get from this site.There is genuine concern and caring for each other. Our Wonderful Staff is always on guard and their like our Mama's and Daddy's to make sure we kids mind our manners.JMHO!!:cool2:

13. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i hav ecaught some catfish in the past with worms but all i did was flick them offf with the fillet knife and i dont every remember getting sick so i say just pull them off and eat lol

14. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    okay. i think i found your answer. go to this site and read it.
    Infestations of the Trematode Bolbophorus sp. in Channel Catfish