Worms for Trout Bait?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by rich-online, Apr 24, 2007.

1. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    For trout in the 1# range, what type of worms would you use for bait, and how would you hook the worm?

-- Rich

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's all I used to use. Garden worms, wigglers, what ever you want to call them. (Leave the nightcrawlers for some other fish.) Use about a size 6 or 8 baitholder hook and pass the hook in and out of the worm a few times with a bit of each end loose - so that you get a slightly bunched gob of worm with wiggley bits exposed. Toss it into likely looking drifts and eddies on a river or stream and just watch the line. I mostly fished with no weight at all, or maybe one or two very small split shot for fast or deep water.

I never fished floats, but I suspect you could rig with a float and set the depth so the worm drifts just above the bottom.

3. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    I agree with John. A # 6 or 8 should work fine with a small splitshot about 18" up from the hook. Youi want just enough weight to carry you above the bottom in the current. If the fish are real finicky, hook the worm through the collar, or where the collar should be, and let him wriggle freely. Good luck,

Dru:cool2:

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I totally agree reds work great in the right circumstances like most baits for most fish but weighting is of the utmost importance you just want to tick the bottom if you get hung up to much just tap every couple of feet on the pass .