"Worms as big as snakes"

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Alsey, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I live down here in Louisiana. We have a species of worm that gets about 12-16 inches long and are about 1/3 smaller than a pencil in diameter. I've been catching these and offered them to a friend that lives a few blocks away who was interested in getting some of the "foot long worms" I was getting. I caught about 6 dozen of them and went by to give him his worms. He looked at them and said basically "oh, I thought you had the big worms". He described worms the size of small snakes that made burrows kind of like what crayfish make. He said when you grab them they shake so hard they can pull free of your hand. He gets them from his back yard when it rains. I've lived in Louisiana for most of my life and I've never seen or heard of a worm this size. Do any of you know what kind of worm this is. I was thinking he's got the same species of worm in his yard that I gave him but they're just a lot more healthy.

Anywho, that my question. Anybody seen or heard of a worm that big?

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I live in south Arkansas and I've heard of them but never seen any.I worked with a man that talked about fishing with what he called buck worms.He said he caught them at a baseball field.They were between 7 and 12 inches long and very tough and leathery.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know exactly what your talking about they are called earthworms in OK i dug up alot of them while working in the earlsbourogh area they were about 12-20 inches long

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Red worms. I think they talked about them on Dirty Jobs, or whatever that show is called..They had an episode about them, supposedly they will bite you too

5. gillfish

gillfish New Member

State:
    California
    They're a type of earthworm alright, but they don't bite. At least the ones found in Mo. don't. They're found in regular soil, not riverbed areas where you might expect to find them more frequently.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    think they are called fiddle worms... i have heard that if u take a stick.. put it in their hole (in the ground) and rub another stick together with it.. like a fiddle.. they will come out of the ground.. due to the sound.. like a storm.. maybe someone could send me a few dozen of them later this summer... and ill try them out up here.. ill pay S&H and all that good stuff

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First of all to the gentleman and BOC Brother in regards to the worm that bites. I seen the show "Dirty Jobs" where he was helping to harvest these worms. They are referred to as "Blood Worms" and yes they do bite. One lady who helps to harvest them is deathly allergic and told Mike Rowe that once she is bitten,they have to rush her to the hospital to get injections to counteract her allergic reactions to the bite. I have a man who emails me occassionally in regards to African Worms. He claims they are larger than Canadian Nightcrawlers, are purple in color and really survive well in heat. If memory serves you are not suppose to refrigerate them but keep them like in a garage or basement and have a light on directly over the boc as if not they have a strong tendency to escape their box. If anyone is interested PM me and I will give you this guys email address.He sells these African Worms and he is wanting me to buy from him. I would like too but living in an apartment I really don't have a place as of yet to keep them! From what I have read about them,they would seem to me to be quite a sturdy bait to use,his main reason for having them is not only bait but states they will really give a person a beautiful and well fertilized lawn.:smile2:

9. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Big bait, big fish!

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont what kind worms are those, I have never hear of those before.

11. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You need to watch what you import into the states from a different country as it could start a chain of events that cause a lot of harm. That is how we have asain carp and big heads now.

12. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

BLOODWORMS...thats what they were..Thanks for reminding me

13. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    thats about the size of the bigger worms we catch when we fiddle for worms

14. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    around here i just wait for it to rain and get dark. we catch 12 - 18" crawlers on the roads.

15. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    just big'ole night crawlers if you need some come to my house anytime after agood rain the damn things are every where although they do make good bait Iprefer to keep them in a trash barrell and feed them coffee grounds for a couple of weeks it tends to make them tougher

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea there earth worms they get big as snakes, ive seen a few of them

17. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Our East Topeka worms aren't that big, but they are mean. We don't use hooks--just tie the line to their tail, and send 'em down to wrassle them fish!!

18. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    we have em here in ks.i have only found them around perry lake after a good rain out on the roads.they look like a regular ol nightcrawler until you go to pick them up.they slither as fast as a snake and if they had a mouth they would take a finger off.i have caught a bunch and never been bit by one.they are longer than nightcrawler and if ya look close at them,their mid-section ring is different from a regular worm.they stink like a green worm and when ya put em on a hook,they will stay lively for hours in the water.

19. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what could u do with those big of worms

20. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I have never heard of a worm of that size. I didnt think the exested.