Worms and Vinegar

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by endy317, Feb 24, 2006.

1. endy317

endy317 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My uncle said he was fishing with this guy and he was killin them off of nightcrawlers that had been sitting in vinegar for a day.

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    wow pickled worms. If you got hungry.........?

3. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    That sounds like a great bait for a cat, I've been wondering how to give worms a stronger scent.
    Did the worms die of the vinegar, or were they still lively?

4. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    yeah that sounds like some good stuff.. It would be nice if it didnt kill them but i'm sure it does..

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Soaking worms in vinegar can't be good for them and I bet it kills em quick enough, But on the other hand it might toughen them up too. got to give that a try. Any one use that shredded paper worm bedding you can get at most any were. I use it and as long you keep it from going sore, it works great for me. It toughens them old night crawlers up a bit too I think.

6. SSanta090

SSanta090 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Tell us your results if you ever try it ;)

7. KentE

KentE New Member

State:
    GA
    I'm going to try the vinegar thing just for the heck of it. I keep store bought catfish dough in my truck for whenever I feel like fishing. I can put some crawlers in a jar of vinegar and keep them just as handy.

It's worth noting; one of the reasons your pickles come with a hamburger is that the vinegar increases the flavor of the meat...

Kent

8. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ive never heard of pickled worms but have heard of preperation H and chubs. cant say im ready to try either lol.

9. mckiss

mckiss New Member

State:
    kansas
    dont they drown,or do you just put a little vineger in the worm container, i get night crawler outta my yard 12 inches long

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I tried garlic powder last week . they died over night in that stuff. I use shreaded brown cardboard for worm bedding just soak over night in water to soften it up some. the glue on the cardboard doesn't seem to hurt them. I wonder if they will eat garlic leaves. catch ya later.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well at least if your roids start acting up all you have to do is rub a chub on your butt,should fix ya right up.The chub might give ya some extra lube to.lol

12. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    wow no place like the b.o.c. u se guys are crazy.

13. pete & cat

pete & cat New Member

State:
    il.
    hey try this one .
    i put annise on my worms last week and caght a few small channel's
    about 3-4 lb. hey do's any one know a good bait for flatheads in the wabash in indiana.
    i am new on river fishn for cat's
    thnaks

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I guess if it doesnt work for the cats it could become some kind of delicacy.

15. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Just my opinion but I believe the best bait for flats is live bluegill.

16. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Live bait for the flats. I like the pickled worm idea,sounds delicous.

17. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive tried the vinegar and nightcrawlers if u use the formula 2 parts vinegar to 3 parts water ive pulled out a few small cats but if you use full strenght vinegar ive never had luck and have actually had the vinegar start to destroy the night crawlers:spiderman:

18. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    My dad in the 1930s and 40s use to take and inject them with it but not soak them over night. Fast way to rot your night crawlers.

But now when i inject a nightcrawler i use one of them air injecters that make the nightcrawler float. i inject in less then half a tea spoon. then one more time with air.

I do this right before puting the nightcrawler on the hook.