Wormgear Upgrade

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by nunziom, Feb 21, 2007.

1. nunziom

nunziom New Member

State:
    Victoria
    Hi,
    I am new here (from Australia) and have been given an abu 7000c from my lovely wife as a gift (she is trying to embrace the whole fishing thing...).
    I am looking to upgrade the bushings to bearings and am just wondering if there is a wormgear upgrade available (to change the plastic bushing to bearings for the 7000c.
    Cheers
    Norm...

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Norm I can't help you on the bushing upgrade. But I can wish you a welcome to BOC.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Welcome to BOC, maybe Tiny will see the thread or you could send him a message.

4. nunziom

nunziom New Member

State:
    Victoria
    Hi,
    Thanks for the welcome...
    I have tried to contanct Tiny directly but am unable to do so as I have not made enough postings yet???.
    If anyone can pass this on I would greatly appreciate it..
    Cheers
    Norm

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. I have always wanted to visit your country.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Norm, welcome to our BOC. There is some information http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5570 that may help. :smile2:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Norm, jump in a few threads and you'll have more then enough posts real quick. Welcome to the BOC!

Tell us about fishing in Australia!

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Unfortunately there are no bearing upgrades for the worm gears of the 7000 series reels like there are for the smaller reels. I've talked to several techs and they all told me the same thing. Hell, if I could, I would too. I love the ones I put in my 6500 along with the ceramic bearings.

You might just try some ceramic ABEC 7 bearings. I've got a 7000 with them in it and you would think that there were 20 bearings in the thing! If you find out differently about the worm gear bearings, let me know how to get ahold of some. I'd appreciate it greatly:big_smile:

9. nunziom

nunziom New Member

State:
    Victoria
    Thanks for the replies...
    I guess I'll keep looking for a wormshaft upgrade (even though I love the reel as is...).
    Cheers
    Norm...