Worm Shocker

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jailcop2, Jul 21, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hey all , just found my old worm shocker at my parents house . I don't remember how long it should take before the worms should be coming to the top , or much about how it should be used . Any help would be very much appriciated .
    Thanks
    Brian

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    A lot would depend on what type of ground you are using it at.
    Remember, to my knowledge, ALL of those, regardless of brand, have been recalled due to the dangers of electrocution. They "can" work, but the times I have tried them, I wasn't impressed. My hooks were bigger than the worms that came up from the shock.

3. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    Worm shockers are dangerous and should never be used! I think they may even be illegal in some states. There are much safer ways to get worms.
    That being said, I always spray the yard down good about an hour before dark. Then use the shocker about an hour after dark. The length of time it takes for the worms to come up depends on how wet the soil is. If you've had a dry summer like a lot of us, the worms may be deep. If you water your lawn often they should be close to the top. I usually have them come up within 15 seconds. Some times they are up by the time I get back from plugging in the shocker. Just remember, stick it in the ground BEFORE you plug it in and make sure there are no little ones around when you do it. Good luck and be careful!

4. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I like your style! I did not know it is suppsed to be illegal though! I have done some shocking with my mother in law as they get in her yard and create lots of piles of dirt and it drives her nuts! If anyone knows my mother in law or where she lives then this never happened unless you can prove it and then I will have to see your evidence before making any payment!

5. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    pmme, and im sure we can rig sumtin' up...
    shaun

6. freazoote

freazoote New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought a worm shocker here and had no danger from it.
    http://www.wormshocker.com

I keep it in my RV when I need to get some worms, I plug it in and get me some worms in about
    10 minutes or so.
    YOu just got to remember to unplug it before you get worms or you get a slight tingle in your fingers.

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    My friends dad made hisown with a Extension cord and a wire clothes hanger..DANGEROUS..I seen Him try it and the dog was in a puddle of water next to it and he jumped..But the dog was so stupid he walked back in it like 3 more times untill he turned it of.f...

8. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Rubber boots are a real good idea. We built our own years ago but I'd rather not put it on an open forum, too many bored kids surf thru here. Be careless or stupid it can kill you. PM me and I'll tell you how to make some. Depending on moisture it takes seconds to 5 minutes. We found they didnt live long enough after shocking to keep. Great way to get enough to catch bait for setlines or a trip or two rod and reeling. Anyone trying this please be careful, no kids or pets around, insulate yourself from the electricity ie: rubber boots etc. Best to have two people for safety just in case. 110 may not kill you unless your wet but who wants to experiment?

9. Mr. Joe Catfish

Mr. Joe Catfish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Backwoodsman is right about the worms not keeping very long after shocking them. My grandpa introduced us kids to shocking worms 40 years ago. We took quit a few night crawlers out of his yard. We were taught that you only shocked enough for one day's fishin cause they wouldn't live. He also taught us that repetedly shockin the same place would drive the worms out of there. So if anyone should get one to use, I strongly suggest you use it sparingly or you'll end up with a yard with no worms.

God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joe

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good info Joe. Welcome to the USCA.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Simple fix lot safer and it dont kill em. Go to a tractor supply or feedstore ect. Get a 12 volt battery powerd fence charger 10 ft of inslated wire, old extention cords work nice, and 2 step in steel elect fence posts. a 12 volt batt powered charger will run ya 25 to 40 bucks. Attach wires to 2 posts and step in the ground 2 to 4 ft apart hookup to 12 volt batt turn on wait a few min worms golare turn off. If ya get Zapped no harm done unless ya got a pace maker. Its just DC and cant hurt ya bad or burn down a outlet or breaker box like the AC ones. Bounus they dont kill the worms. And its highly portable with a 4 wheeler or riden lawnmower or even out de back of the truck ya will never be short of worms again.

12. Mr. Joe Catfish

Mr. Joe Catfish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the 12 volt charger idea Welder! Wish I thought of it a long time ago. That would be great on fishing trips where its hard to keep bait fresh or you run out.

God Bless and treat fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joe

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The little bitty ones are the first to come up, and they come up almost immediately. Can take up to 10 minutes for the big guys to surface, depending on how deep they are.

I use a deadman switch on mine. It is a spring loaded switch that you have to hold in the on position. If you screw up and start to fry yourself, it shuts off when you fall down and let off the switch. I don't have any problem with it hurting the worms though. I can keep them several weeks after shocking them up.

14. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa
    Yea I remember 40 yrs ago my pap had a shocker, but it had two metal probes and a dial thingey probably a rheostat. I dont know if it was 12v or 110v though.
    :skeleton: