Worm Farm Question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishcrazyjr, Jan 28, 2007.

1. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i got a ? about growing worms, if you make a worm bed and put in a few doz worms and tack care of them do they reproduce? and can you feed them stuff to grow them larger then what you get at the bait shop?

2. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    jeremy im no expert but i believe they do reproduce and rather quickly i believe ive heard that a few slices of white bread on top will feed them plenty,but again im not expert,hell im not even an amature lol good luck

3. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i to hava worm farm and they do reproduch quite often.for food just give them some used coffee grounds and they are good to go but you can buy super grow worm protine from frabill and the baby worms love that stuff and make shure that it is moist and cool.PM me if you have any more questions.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take a peek here.. http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/tabid/2101/Default.aspx

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don't suffer from insanity because I enjoy every minute of it

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u can build a wooden box to hold them; without a bottom.

6. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i have a computer print out on worm farming and if you send me a e-mail address ill send it to you....it will take me awhile to retype it but ill send it....it tells you the size box you need and the foods you can feed them and when to water them everything that you will need to know

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've a 60 page book titled "Raising Fishworms with Rabbits". Actually you raise them under rabbit hutches.Not much work to it after you get it built.
    Keeping the urine under control and the moles away are the 2 biggest problems iirc.
    Heck here is the way to start 2 buisneses in one. You might not have time to go fis----Naw never mind.

8. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Hey get a hold of me if you dont already have enough questions answered. I just started "farming" worms for the same reasons. Its really pretty easy. Do a search on worm composting it tells you everything you need. They literally eat your garbage. Worms will eat 1/2 their weight each day - 1 lb of woms = 1/2 lb of your food waste. They wont eat meats or dairy products. Keep them in a rubbermaid container drill small holes around the top and bottom for air and drainage. Canadian Night crawlers dont seem to do the greatest they are a burrowing worm. Use african night crawlers, european night crawlers or red wigglers. Every 90 days they should lay eggs and typically they will have 4 babies from each egg. If you were breeding for sale you could easily have 1 million worms in 1 yeay starting from 3lbs of worms.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    iIn addition to all of the above, you may want to check the BOC Library as there are several articles in it about raising worms. Here is a general link to the library....

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50475#post50475

As far as the size, believe the species of worm determines the size more than the diet. Could be wrong though, but thats what I remember. Darn altzhimers.

10. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks for the info guys i am going to give it a try

11. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    o one more thing if buges apear dont be alarmed its all part of the cycle.unless you smell ouder then yoiu hava problem.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I raised rabbits (actually they're hares) for several years and worms were one of the bennies, besides meat, manure, and compost that I got from them, and I mean plenty of worms. I kept sawdust from a local sawmill piled about a ft deep under the cages so as to also catch the urine. It doesn't take long for them to get started under the cages.

(I posted this on another thread a few weeks ago)

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I grew canadian nightcrawlers for a few years, and they take a bit of a different approach.

You really should have a seperate fridge for them. They do better a couple of degrees above the normal setting for a fridge. I was lucky and was living in a military dorm at the time. I had my own small fridge that had nothing else in it.
    If you do keep them in the same fridge, they will either be too cool for breeding or your food won't be kept at a safe temp (and your spouse may not like it much either).
    I started the farm at the end of my fishing season (I wasn't a catfisher back then and quit fishing when it got too cold for me), used them throughout the fishing season, and had enough left over for them to breed through the winter again. Back then I only went twice a week or so. now I go way too often for that small farm to keep up.

My uncle went a completely different route. For a long time I would go by his house on the way to the lake and pick up the boards and such that were scattered about his lawn (he was renovating his house for several years). They almost always had nice big worms under them. He cleaned up his yard, but filled up an old bath tub with dirt and leaves and several worms he found while cleaning. He kept it outside in the shade and kept them well fed. They were always ready to go for fishing, but they didn't breed fast enough for me as I went out 4 or 5 times a week.