Worm bed ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by r ward, Jan 7, 2007.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I am thinking of growing and keeping my own worms for bait need all suggestions I can get

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    make sure you use rich soil. keep it moist. add bread and news paper normally. how many worms are you going to start out with?

3. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    how big of a worm bed are u looking at building?

I have a bed that is about 6' feet wide and 3' deep. I used shreaded newspaper, leaves, top soil,horse or cow manure, more leaves and newspaper, and top soil. holds great for reds, blood worms and wigglers

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I do not know enough about it to answer to many questions that why I need help

5. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I was thinking of building a cricket box for when i'm fishing with my nephew and neice but the wife won't hear it says the crickiets are to stinky.

U can use and ole fridge or deep freezer just bust the lock on it (saftey reason). they are perfect for a worm box. holds mositure don't have to worry about keeping water on them as much. corn meal is what i use for to feed them just sprinkle across the top and mix it into the bed do this once very 3 weeks.

6. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    when i was a kid my Dad raised worms, i cant remember much about them though, but i do remember he had several large beds and had electric fences around them and had wire cloth over the tops to keep armadillos and birds out.

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I use to keep mine in an old cheese box with some good dirt.
    When I got through fishing just put the left overs back in the box.
    Keep them fed an moist and you will have worms for your next trip.
    I sure you could use other containers like an old cooler just a few hole in the bottom for drainage.
    Corn meal,egg shells and used coffee gounds for food works well.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe there are about nine articles in the BOC library about raising worms. This link will take you to the library... I kinda figgured it would be neat just to browse the library and see what is in it... sort of like a refresher course. LOL
    Enjoy, and spend a few hours rehashing what you probably all ready know.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50475#post50475

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I raised rabbits (actually they're hares) for several years and worms were one of the bennies, besides meat, manure, and compost that I got from them, and I mean plenty of worms. I kept sawdust from a local sawmill piled about a ft deep under the cages so as to also catch the urine. It doesn't take long for them to get started under the cages.

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Thanks for all the help and info keep it coming

11. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    richard, i catch my grass clippings to use for garden compost........ all i have is raised beds for tomatoes , onions , a few eggplant and some bell peppers .......... maybe an area 6ft by 15 ft ........... i just pile the clippings up in those beds and let it rot , then just add some every yr............. i have the big nite crawlers by the dozens ......... i did put a few in there to get them started.......... since i only use foliar fertilizer on the veggies , the worms do well ...................i'm in misipy so i spect u could do the same .....i see some big earthworms too when there are no plants in the garden , but they go into the soil during the summer and i don't wanna do any digging then..... the nite crawlers are always just under the surface and they can be raked out with a small garden tool ...... good luck !!