Worm Bed

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by tntitans21399, Feb 14, 2009.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not sure where to post this, so the moderators can move it to where ever it needs to go.

I am about to buy a new house and I was thinking about adding a compost bin, and then as I looked around the web I then started to think about a worm bed since I fish from time to time. What I have learned and researched, it is pretty easy. My question is I was going to build it in a breeze of the house, attached pic. I was thinking about putting it in the back right on the side of garage not the house. I was going to build a wooden frame, I haven't decided on the size yet. My question is what has been the best to put on the bottom, to keep worms from going underground and escaping and on top from keeping them from crawling out?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
  2. cotton

cotton New Member

State:
    nw florida
    what kind of worms are you planning to raise? No treated wood can be used. Cypress or cedar are acceptable. Don't put it too close to the house. Usually a bottom not necessary with some kinds of worms.

3. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Night crawlers seem to get the most action on the lake, but I have heard red worms composite food and things quicker so I can use the worms for fishing and compost for plants around the house.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Chris, Check into the library. A lot of good info in there:wink:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've not had much luck trying to raise worms, so I can't help you; but there is lots of info on the web about raising worms and building beds. Just do a search on 'raising worms'.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes there are a couple new threads on this somewhere, any way I use the fiberglass window screen on my bottoms and also used an old tractor tire set level to the ground. what ever you do, DO NOT use bagged "peat moss, or "top soil" from a store or garden center, it will kill off your worms. the old stuff was fine but they have added something to the stuff the past few years or so and it will kill off the crawlers, but very easy to do. After the first year of starting it you will never have to buy any again..... Some yards are good for crawlers and some are not. mine is but having a nice simple bed out back makes it much easier, they are always there and ready. :wink:

7. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just a tip when buying your worms, ask the seller what the temp range they live in is, I just spent 40 buck on 500 worms. The guy didn't tell me that they HAD to be between 50 and 75 degrees, he just stated they didn't need refridgeration. So I promptly killed them. And for your bottom a couple layers of cardboard or carpet would work great just don't use anything that will cause your bed to hold water. Let me know how it goes I'm trying to start my own worm bed as well

8. Heavyhitter063

Heavyhitter063 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a good look with a plastic rubbermaid bin. Drill small holes in the bottom for water to drain out of, and fill the bottom with dried leaves or shredded news paper. Fill it with worm soil or as i do soil from my back yard.(NOT POTTING SOIL). It's very low maintence just spray it with a water bottle every day, and every few months change out the leaves or newspaper with fresh paper. You can also feed them coffee grounds keeps then alive, and hyper when fishing. GOOD LUCK!!