worm bed questions

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by wylie catter, Oct 28, 2008.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I built a worm bed today out of a 55 gallon drum I cut in half. I filled it up with good dirt and dumped in some worms I bought. I also drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes in the bottom for drainage. I want one for little red worms and one for night crawlers. So what else do I need to do? Thanks.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you'll go to the advanced Google page and type in 'raising worms', you'll get more information that you can read between breakfast and lunch.

3. chrisb

chrisb New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    my mom and dad owned a bait shop for years and raised red wigglers. the way they did it was to mix 3/4 peat moss 1/4 cotton seed hulls and mix with water. to feed them they would take rabbit pellets and put some in a 5 gallon bucket and add water then stir till soft and sprinkle on top of the bed and put an old piece of carpet over the top. but dont put the feed under the dirt it causes the dirt to heat up really hot on the warm days of the year. after that just let them grow till you need them. and if you have any other questions just let me know and ill give you any info i can.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks yall. Chris I've never heard of using rabbit pellets. And the carpet thing.That's good informatin.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The carpet idea is great. I always find worms under bricks, blocks, boards, etc. Why not carpet? The carpet would also aid in keeping the needed moisture in the bed. Good idea! Thanks!
    Bill in SC

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you gonna raise worms some kind of cover is nessisary or your worms will crawl off first warm moist night.the worm farm i worked at had lights over theirs to keep the worms at home.

7. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Dern, I didn't know they would try to escape.

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Terry, Of course they are going to try and escape, :crazy: They KNOW their destiny with you. You are the swimming instructor aren't you? :wink:
    I bought some e-books a while back about bait sources etc. and raising worms was in the book., I don't raise them at present but have the information if I ever wanted. would you like me to e-mail a copy to ya? If so send me a PM, I would be happy to oblige.
    I do however want to learn how to raise big bream in my back yard. :smile2::smile2: If you figure that out let me know. :wink:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Chris, did they lay the carpet nap side up, or nap side down? I've put carpet out in the back yard to attract worms, and always put it nap side up in that application. (When putting it around garden plants to keep out weeds, I put it nap side down.)

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jerry, if he's got a laptop he can take it to the bathroom with him........

Terry, FYI, worms under a rabbit cage (just one rabbit) will live very well.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR

If he sits on the throne long enough to read all the hits he gets on that search, he's going to have some major problems!

12. Ol Tex

Ol Tex New Member

State:
    Texas
    I made mine from a large plastic storage tub (from Wallyworld for about $5). I drilled lots of 1/8" holes in the bottom for drainage, then put a layer of screen so they couldn't crawl out. I drilled more holes around the sides near the top for ventilation. I mixed shredded newspaper (no colored pages) with a bit of sand for their gizzards, soil, and composted leaves. I wet all this really well and let it set for a week before adding the worms. I feed them coffee grounds, vegetable scraps, or damp cornmeal, being careful not to put so much in that it moulds before they eat it. When that's gone I feed again. I keep the bin on a couple of bricks above the ground so it has good drainage, with the lid on, under some bushes for shade, with leaves piled up the sides for insulation so it doesn't get too hot or cold. I keep it moist but not wet. Works really well.
    John

13. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fed mine mushed up rabbit pellets, but I fed them too much. It molded all over the place. But it looks like they're still eating it.