Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this subject has been discussed many many times and I’ve looked through some of the archived threads but my question is very specific and I haven’t really found the info I’m looking for.
I’m looking to order some more hooks in size 8/0 and 10/0 or possibly 9/0 as a “catch all” size. I’m interested in everyone’s input. I’m looking for hooks that will be used exclusively for large flatheads using live bait. I fish using clickers and set the hook so I prefer a J or octopus style hook. The requirements that I think are important for the hook are extreme sharpness and strength with a wide gap and not so heavily built that it causes excess injury to the bait and shortens the baits life or prohibits free movement of the bait.
so, using those parameters who makes the absolutely finest hook in the world for my application? Cost is not a concern in this discussion.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Gobbler,
I recently purchased some Gamakatsu Big River bait hooks, size 6/0 and 9/0 I intend to try when I get back to summertime flathead fishing. I heard about them somewhere on the 'net but I honestly can't remember where. They are wicked sharp and slightly offset. Ought to work well with flats, I hope. :)
Eyewear Line Material property Font Rectangle

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gobbler,
I recently purchased some Gamakatsu Big River bait hooks, size 6/0 and 9/0 I intend to try when I get back to summertime flathead fishing. I heard about them somewhere on the 'net but I honestly can't remember where. They are wicked sharp and slightly offset. Ought to work well with flats, I hope. :)
View attachment 330709
That’s one I’ve been looking at too! I’ve had good experiences with Gamakatsu hooks over the years as well as Owner hooks but it seems like there are a number of catfish specific type hooks out there on the market and I wondered if maybe someone had reinvented the wheel in a good way. Lol.
I see mention occasionally of a Charlie Brown hook but all I’ve seen online is circles and they aren’t really a good choice for my style.
Thanks for the reply brother!

Don

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
They're hybrid. Can be used like a circle where you let the rod and holder do the work. Or you can do a side sweeping motion. Or cross the fishes eyes. I like them pretty much better than any hook I own minus the Daiichi chunk light/TC double action. Only because I'm a lazy fisherman lol but I'd have to give the charlie Brown the nod. I've owned Khale's, Js, big rivers, owner circles, gamakatsus, and still have thousands of hooks and the Charlie Browns make them all collect dust or I give the others away or sell them. You don't have to swap them for different scenarios or conditions because they can do it all.

Are all of the Charlie Brown hooks circle hooks? That’s all I’ve been able to find.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would vote for Charlie Brown HD 9/0s or King Kahle 9/0. Either of these choices would be excellent. That said Robby Robinson caught more large flatheads then I can count on King Kahle 5/0.
I had no idea who Robby was but the other day on my lunch break at work while searching the net for more flathead knowledge I came across a forum called catfish freaks. I bookmarked the page and started reading everything I could on flatheads. The forum is a ghost town…. Doesn’t appear that anyone has made a post since around 2018 and going through all the old posts had a strange post apocalyptic feeling. It appears the whole crew from that site got gobbled up by Facebook. But there were some posts by Robby there. Over the last couple days I read everything I could find that he posted.
It’s my day off today and the house was quiet early this morning and I have several hours before I go get bait for tonight so I poured some coffee and started reading more of Robby’s old posts and thinking “I gotta meet this guy or talk to him” even thought maybe I should just get on that stupid Facebook nonsense just to keep following this guy and Try to learn more. I mean this guy is catching 60# flatheads. What’s more, I really like the guy! He obviously loves these fish and takes great care to ensure they survive and are released after being caught.
I’m reading another post as I’m filling my second cup of coffee.
Robby has put a young guy on his PB flathead of 53#. Lots of atta boys and “oohs” and “aahs” over the hero pic.
A guy makes a late post, maybe two years after the thread began asking Robby to hook him up with some fishing as they are both from Ohio And a moderator of the page breaks the news that cancer had claimed Robby the spring before…..
I’m sorry to hijack this thread or to steer it off of its original path but i want to take a minute just to thank everyone here in this community for taking the time to answer my questions and help me learn more about these amazing fish. I feel like I’ve learned a lot from all of you guys here in your responses as well as the things you’ve posted that are kinda archived that I’ve dug through. I’ve had a phenomenal first year of flathead fishing so far with several fish over 20# and a couple over 30. It is certainly due in large part to each of you and your kind help
And willingness to help a new guy along. That is a rarity in todays world. It speaks volumes to who you guys are and to the quality of this forum. There are a few guys like myself who don’t Facebook. And precious few places left for us to hang out with like minded folks online.
I’m feeling a little haunted after spending so much time reading those old posts.
just wanted to say thanks and please keep this place going.
Guess I’ll do some more studying on flatheads before I get ready to go catch a bucket of bullheads for tonight. 😁

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m sure this subject has been discussed many many times and I’ve looked through some of the archived threads but my question is very specific and I haven’t really found the info I’m looking for.
I’m looking to order some more hooks in size 8/0 and 10/0 or possibly 9/0 as a “catch all” size. I’m interested in everyone’s input. I’m looking for hooks that will be used exclusively for large flatheads using live bait. I fish using clickers and set the hook so I prefer a J or octopus style hook. The requirements that I think are important for the hook are extreme sharpness and strength with a wide gap and not so heavily built that it causes excess injury to the bait and shortens the baits life or prohibits free movement of the bait.
so, using those parameters who makes the absolutely finest hook in the world for my application? Cost is not a concern in this discussion.
If you can't find them on E-bay try "Wild Wolf Products" I'll bet that if you order a small amount of these in your preferred size you will order more once you check them out. They are very sharp AND have very thin shafts.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
A word of caution with matzou sickles...if the angles on the bends come to a sharp angle...send them back...they'll break fairly easily...if the bends are more round then you got a good batch...

·
Registered
59 Posts
A word of caution with matzou sickles...if the angles on the bends come to a sharp angle...send them back...they'll break fairly easily...if the bends are more round then you got a good batch...
Never had that problem/w them before but I'll be sure to watch for it. That problem may have come when the Matzou company agreed to let American manufacturers make/sell them. I use to have to get them from only one place. Wild Wolf Products which was only one guy selling these and what he called a "cat bobber". But he mentioned that he got them directly from the original manufacturer in Japan. Put one of his next to one from E-bay and you can tell that they are a bit different and obvious that someone here is now making them. The wire seems to be just as small. So they are still using the same high quality wire. I have enough hooks now that I'm sure to not need any more for the next couple of years. But I will watch for the ones you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I've gotten a few bad packs over the years...never had any issue with returning them though...I'm not knocking matzou hooks, I used them a lot back in Washington...their qc could be better is all...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts