Worlds easiest INSULATED bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by bnt55, Aug 2, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was sitting in the boat the other day looking at my bait tank and got to thinking how easy it was to make and I should probably tell the brothers here since that is what this whole board is about, so here it is:

I had been racking my brain for several weeks trying to come up with a suitable tank for keeping shad alive while fishing in the summer heat on the great Ohio River. There were a couple of prerequisites for this bait tank, first it had to be round, secondly it def. had to be insulated and finally I needed something around 20-30 gallons due to weight constraints. After reading hundreds of posts about the topic, weighing the pros and cons of a commecial tank (of which the only con is the cost and it happened to be a huge con for me) I decided if the rest of the DIY fishing community can make their own tank successfully, then dang it I can too. Now the only hurdle seemed to be the tank itself, I would worry about the aeration later. I was thinking about what I was going to use for a tank one afternoon while standing in line at the kwik-stop when what in front of my wandering eyes dost appear (no, not 8 tiny reindeer, or the very pretty girl paying for gas on pump 3) but a large, round, insulated BAIT TANK!! errrr.....I mean a Monster Energy drink cooler. The answer to my problems had been in front of me for most likely my entire driving career! In retrospect I probably should have grabbed a can out of the cooler instead of rubbing my hands over it and inspecting the plastic and design because I think I was making the cashier nervous and I know I got a few "who's this retard" stares from customers waiting in line. So know I had real issue, where to find my own round marketing cooler? I suppose a guy could canvas the entire kwik-stop community and scrounge one up, me. I just called my Dad and he got one for me the next day (nice to have connections). Once I got the tank into my possesion and convinced my wife that it would not be going into the living room next to the Lazy Boy to hold 3 cases of frosty beers, I need to cut it down to size and take the casters off the bottom. From the time I began riggin it to the finish was probably about 45 min. Once cut down I installed an insulated lid out of plexiglass and 1" blue styrofoam, as the original lid was un-insulated and looked like a huge plastic pop top and I wanted to be taken seriously as a live bait fisherman. As for the aeration, I just bought a KeepAlive pump with an air line and a small round filter and this kept the water swirling in a bubbly circular pattern that shad enjoy so much. One nice thing about this particular 7-UP cooler is the outflow pipe at the bottom, just unstop it and it will drain the tank, however I just use a long piece of tubing and let the bait pump send it over the side of the boat.
    So to make a long story (sorry about that) short, I spent about $15 on the tank itself, added the air/water pump and I had a WORKING, INSULATED, ROUND shad tank for practically nothing! If you are insterested in making one of these yourself read the post I made about treating the water to keep your fish friends alive. SALT POST Thanks for listening and I hope this helps some poor hillbilly fisherman out like it did for me.:big_smile:

Bill

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    looks like an affordable bait tank, thanks for sharing

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Reckon your dad could lay hands on, say, a couple hundred of those things?:wink: I mean, this is a brotherhood, so that makes us all kinfolk. Right?:smile2:

4. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Good idea for sure. Sounds like a great bait tank! Thanks for sharing the info my brother.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on an excellent idea for a bait tank. That should do the job very well.

6. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bill, my brother happens to have a coca-cola one just like that! Is there anything you would do different? That's a super cool tank you have! Thanks again!

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I guess if I was to do another one I would make the lid a little stiffer, maybe 1/2" plywood with insulation? Other than that this little tank does the job very well, however I will say with the Keepalive aerator I clean the filter every hour or so to get rid of slime and scales. BTW I cut my tank down b/c it was too tall for what I needed.

GOOD LUCK
    Bill

8. mr_mississippi

mr_mississippi New Member

State:
    texas
    ingenious brother

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's slick as snot on a doorknob! :crazy:

Bill in SC

10. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Great lookin' tank. Thanks for sharing it...

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Great idea! The only thing I would do differently would be to use a plywood top with rigid foam insulation underneath, so I'd have a handy bait cutting board. I wouldn't run any hoses or wires through the top, so I could easily wash it off over the side of the boat.

12. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Works for me :) My only question....Do you ever get stopped on the water by people asking to buy sodas?? LOL

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Great idea,,,
    I want one with the Frosty cold, snow covered mountains on it, for when it's 120+, out on the water..

14. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    i work at kroger and we have a bunch of this just sitting in the back just gota figgue out how to get one thanks for the idea

15. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks! That's the best looking homemade bait tank I've ever seen.

16. mr. baker

mr. baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great idea. I am going to look for one.

17. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    bill gave me that tank cuz hes awesome! it works so well that i can keep two dozen shad alive in it during a whole trip without circulating the water! i love it! everyone should make one