World record?

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by jerseycat9, Nov 5, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I think that this fish would heve been the new world record pike had the guy not released it [​IMG]

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Que the Jaws theme music....

That hawg is huge!

Thanks for sharing!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Now thats a mouth you dont want to stick your hand into! If it wasnt a record...it must have been darn close.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    man thats definately a biggun

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I bet that was a heck of a fight! good for him to release it though. Great catch.

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for posting Terry.That is unreal.great pic.thx.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Huge Fish! Could you please tell me if there is any difference between apike and a muskie cause to me they sure look alot alike.I know some folks up north catch smaller pike and fillet them but I don't think they do with muskie please correct me if I am wrong!:smile2:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Here is a link to the IGFA All Tackle World Records. It shows a Northern caught in Germany as the official world record at 55 pounds. I'm guestimating the fish in that photo to be better than 60 pounds. He may have very well released a New All Tackle World Record. Now, where was the lake he released it in.

http://www.schoolofflyfishing.com/resources/worldfreshrecords.htm

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Pike and Muskies are in the same family but distinct in many different ways. And musky anglers these days are strict CPR

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    unfortunately I dont have any measurements or wieghts to go with this pike it was caught in Alberta Canada. The North American record is 45lbs but this fish is much bigger

11. smoke

smoke New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that is one nice fish record or not....thanks for posting

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Wow, what a fish! I'll bet that thing could bite you in half! :lol:

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    well I did some research and found that the fish was 54inches. As for weight?

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This guy and the guy that released the huge Largemouth a while back are what the word sportsmanship is all about.Where it is or is not the record,they released their chance at it,for the future of all.They did not even try.In my book,they are far better sportsmen than many record holders and large fish catchers whose catch has died,rotted,or even been mounted.I hope that me,my children and grandchildren are such if the chance ever arises.I remember the disappointment of trying 3 times to net what I still believe to be a new world record Largemouth.Now,I am happy that it got away and lived to reproduce.It's gene pool is in the Savannah River today.Had I boated it,I doubt that I would have been the sportsmen that these men are.I can only hope that I would have been.I know.This is far easier to think about,say and do with the fish still in the river.These men are to be admired. peewee-williams

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Very well said Alfred. I dont think that i would have the heart to kill a fish like that especially since it was probably a lot older than me

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    That is exactly twice the size of the largest Northern Pike that I was ever able to catch.Man,is that some kind of souped up "Jack"as we call our Chain Pickerel.What do you guys up North feed "them thangs"?Might be the reason that you don't have Gators.Maybe they eat them.I always thought it was the cold water until I saw the Pike and Muskies.peewee-williams

17. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There are four main member to the Esox family(not including subspecies that may be recognized). Northern pike, muskellunge, chain pickeral, and grass(redfin) pickeral. Here are a few keys to identifying each.

Northern pike are the second largest of the family and have light spots on a dark background. Spots throughout the fins, fins redish in color.

Muskellunge are the largest of the family. Markings are dark(usually faded) on a light silvery or green/silver background.

Chain pickeral are the second smallest. Pattern is light on dark, clear fins, distinct vertical bar through the eye.

Grass or redfins are the smallest. Generally dark patternered, vertical bar through eye. Fins red, no pattern.

Now these are "generalistic", and could be better specified by pattern or scalation specifics. Also I didn't account for Tiger musky, which is a hybrid between as muskellunge and a northern pike.

My sister sent me that picture via e-mail ealier in the year. She lives in eastern Wisconson and works at Cabelas. The fish was caught on Rainy Lake, Minn. It was 54" long and weighed 44lbs. Which makes it a bit short on several records.

18. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The fish you have there is not a world record but it was the record for the state of Michigan where it was caught. This fish was caught on Muskegon Lake . near Lake Michigan. it came in at : 54 inches 44 lbs.

Record for the United states is :

New York 46 lbs 2 oz Sacandaga Lake Peter Dubuc 9/15/1940

The record for Michigan is :

Michigan 39 lbs 0 oz 51.5" Dodge Lake Larry Clough 1961

The world record is a little over 50 Pounds !! I am not sure of the country but it don't really matter now..

Thought maybe you would like to no where it was caught and the size.

D/H

19. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That's e-mail information for ya...I got the info that it was caught on Rainy Lake in Minn.

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah I have gotten 4 different locals for it but the weght and measurements are stayin the same