world record.. uhh?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kathunter_64, Jun 22, 2009.

1. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i was looking for catfishing info when i ran up on this site. it has all of the world record catfish listed. all information is believable EXCEPT for just one thing. the world record flathead is 123lbs and it says it was caught on a zebco 33, with 12 pound test. this may be true, but it honestly seems so unbeleivable to me. does anybody know if this is true? somebody please help me, this is messing with my head haha. i'll post the link so you guys can see this for yourself.

http://www.santeecoopercats.net/records-world.html

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I guess it possible but I have caught a lot of flattie and I would not think it happened.Probly came from a trotline or something.

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    The fish was caught in a spillway by a man fishing for crappie I believe. He thought he had gotten hung up on a log that he could see laying right in front of him. When he jerked it, it moved and he pretty much just drug it to shore with his hands. I read this in Keith Suttons' book -Fishing for Catfish. Yes, the story is true.:wink:

4. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    that is just amazing.. i mean how lucky do ya gotta be? haha

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    guess i'm usin the wrong equipment:smile2:

6. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    My PB 22# flathead came on a 5' 6" St. Croix UL with 6 lb. test. I too thought I had a snag until my line started singing lol. Truth be told while I could tell there was some serious weight on the rod it wasn't that harsh of a fight. The 31" carp I caught on the same set up, now that was a fight :wink:

7. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    it was at elk city reservior here in kansas

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    He did catch it on the equipment specified. There has been much debate among Kansas anglers whether it was snagged and half dead or not. The guy that caught it was quoted as saying "the wind was blowing towards me so I think that helped in bringing it in". Why would that matter unless the fish was floating on top the water? Whatever the opinion is, it is the world record, and the only thing we can do about it is break it.

9. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I hear that.This happens all the time to my knowledge.I doubt a river flathead can be caught like that.I'm about to switch my lake setups to light actions.

:wink:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Other than good ole Ken Paulie's story he gave to the KDWP and Infisherman, he has never stepped forward to defend himself to all the nonbelievers. Until that day comes, and he convinces me, Ill take his story as a crock of s#$t. In Infishermen Mag. , it says he caught this fish while fishing from the dam on the reservoir. Elk City is notorious for not letting out alot of water, therefore in a spillway, its possible, because the fish has no where to run except the pool it is in. On the reservoir, off of the dam, is a whole different story. With big open water and a zebco 33, there is not a chance in hell. With so much speculation and no concrete evidence, it points to lies, just to get your name in the books. How could someone live with theirself, knowing their record is a farce. Its really pretty pathetic. I really hope to come face to face with the man someday. I would ask him point blank for the whole story, and if I wasnt satisfied, I would call BS. It really sucks that the record is so high, and will very difficult to break. There is only one other confirmed flathead, that I know of that weighed more, and I believe it was caught on a snagline in Arkansas, which was a legal mean of fishing.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/article-1.jpg

11. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    your exactly right there, if we think that it was just luck with a half dead fish the only thing we can do is break it haha. which i mean honestly it had to be, i could see catchin a 50 lb flattie on that setup (which would be VERY difficult). but one over 100? i really dont think so. because even if the drag was set low, a healthy flathead of that size would spool that 33 no problem am i right?

thanks for all the feedback guys!