World Record Rod & Reel Alligator Gar .

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Ace, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The world record rod & reel alligator gar was caught in the Rio Grand river in Texas 1951 it weight 279 lbs no pics.The trotline record is 302lbs 7feet 1/2 inches no pics.Here are some good pics of other Gar.

Ace :cat:

N.C.

2. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The world record rod & reel Llongnose Gar was caught by Townsend Miller in the Trinity river Texas.It weighted 50 lbs 5 oz year 1954 No pic.
    I have pic of Tommy Dumas with a 35lb 12oz Longnose Gar he caught while crappie fishing with 10 lb test line 6-28-05.

Ace :cat:

N.C.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    man that sure is a nice fish for 10# line bet it put up a fight

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    My self i think it is kinda fun fishing for gar... last year me and my uncle were cat fishing one night and kept catching gar. this is when i caught my first gar and my biggest cat(35+ shovel) so we just started catching gar for fun he caught a longnose gar or what ever he caught (same as in the pic) and it was as long as his tailgate on his F-150 truck wide.... not too bad seeing how ohio record is 50 lbs even!!!!! PS gar taste kinda good on the creek bank just throw is straight onto the fire and let it get charcole black on both sides then rake off the blackness and eat it....Mmm Mmmm taste like chicken!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    wow that is amazing... I have seen the one of moonlake or the first one before... those three WOW couldnt imagin lol

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    WOW! Wouldn't that be fun to catch on your Zebco 33?

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    lol my uncles wife caught a 12lb channel on the river a while back on their daughters zebco 33 took her about 10 mins to get it in lol

8. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    When I go to Carlyle Lake here in Illinois I seem to catch all the gar that I want and don't want. The Dam at the lake is full these suckers plus Carp, Buffalo, Drum and all other terrible fish----the cats are probably outnumbered 10 to 1. However I think I'd freek out if I caught a Gar as big as those in the pictures, I saw a guy at Carlyle Dam catch probably a 4-5 footer that dragged him and his boat around tell he was able to get it to the boat/ what massive creatures they are.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Whenever I see those pictures I'm amazed. But what makes me think more is that everyone of the pictures you see of alligator gar, are of them dead strung up! Are these fish being harvested for food, or are they being killed off just for neat pictures? In which case, snap and couple and let 'em swim. I'd rather have alligator gar then bass anyway! Unless of course they get a strain of bass that get's over 100lbs....then I'll take bass more seriously.

10. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I want to know how old those suckers are? I have caught a few gar before and they sure do put up a fight! I caught my gar on shadsides.

chris

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol i caught a gar that was about 4 foot and i thought he was big...he was just a baby

12. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    50 years old! good god!

13. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    wow those are some hogs!

14. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I read in the magazine that he caught a 255 gator gar out of the Trinity river which is where i do alot of fishing if he caught a 255lb gar thats the new record but like it said he CPRs them so they dont die. the areas i fish onthe trinity have mainly just long nose gar i think ive seen one big gator. I snaged a big one trolling texoma one time for stripers. he was well over 50lbs at first i thought i had a nice cat from the way he was fighting but then he went nuts and jumped out of the water just shakeing like crazy and spit my hook im glad he did i didnt want have to cut my line and lose my crank bait. ive never seen a fish jump that far out of the water remminds me of tarpon i see on tv

15. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    The bowfishing sites I'm on have gator gar in the high 200lb. range and that are awesome. Check out this Gator gar they got with a bow.

16. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    another Texas size gator

17. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
  18. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    They are fun to catch. Someday I'm gonna try cooking one, as I've heard they are pretty good.

19. Dustin S

Dustin S New Member

State:
    georgia
  20. Dustin S

Dustin S New Member

State:
    georgia
    302 lbs wonder what that looked like!